Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 tranny question, please help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Feb 23, 2004.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

SInce yesterday my truck starts in second gear instead of first once in a while. I have tried to adjust the passing gear cable 1001 different ways but it seems to make no difference. It shifts fine from second to third and from third into OD. Also, if I shift it myself and take it through the gears from first to third it shifts fine. Any suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there are two possibilities, one is the sprag is installed backwards, not unless it was just rebuilt and did it since installed.

#2 is the governer. the valve is stuck, or the support pin is too long or missing.

the governer is under a cover on the driver side near the rear. just pry the cover off and pull the governer out.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have tried to adjust the passing gear cable 1001 different ways but it seems to make no difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

you dont have a passing gear cable. you have a throttle valve cable, and if it is not adjusted properly be prepared to replace your trans, because it WILL die. i'd say it sounds like you've got a sticking governor.