Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 tranny, worth rebuilding or swap to 400 or standard

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ONTARIO'S CARL, Nov 12, 2002.

1. ONTARIO'S CARL

ONTARIO'S CARL Registered Member

The OD trans in my 6.2 is getting kind of sick, it does alot of shifting from OD to 3rd on very small grades, and sometimes even to 2nd. I just bought this 1985 Blazer a couple months ago so I'm not sure of the kind of life it had. I do know that the guy I bought it from towed the 1983 parts Blazer about 4 hours to get it here, could that have fried my trans?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have a couple of questions:

1.What do you plan on doing with the truck? Are you gonna be doing lots of off-roading? Or is this gonna be a city/highway truck?

2.You aren't driving around in OD all the time, are you? The rule of thumb with a 700 is to stay out of OD until you get up to highway speed.

3.Do you have an aux. tranny cooler installed? 700s hate heat and a lot of the time the factoryu cooler doesn't do a good enough job.

FWIW, if you aren't aware of how a used truck was taken care of before you bought it, I would recommend you spend a day and swap out all the fluids. For all you know your diffs are full of water, and your transfer case could be low. Just my opinion, though.....

3. ONTARIO'S CARL

I'LL USE IT MOSTLY FOR HIGHWAY AND THE BUSH ROAD TO CAMP, 4WD WILL PROBABLY GET USED LOTS IN THE WINTER, BUT SUMMER WILL PROBABLY SEE THE END OF THE 4 WHEELING UNLESS I HAPPEN TO GET STUCK. THIS IS MY FIRST 4X4 DIESEL SO I WASN'T AWARE I HAD TO STAY IN 3rd UNLESS ON THE HIGHWAY. THERE IS NO TRANNY COOLER. CAN A BACKYARD MECHANIC REBUILD A TRANS?

4. Can Can

If you're planning on doing a lot of highway driving, a 700 is a must with a diesel. A 3-speed will keep the engine revving pretty high on the highway, depending on your gearing. What do you have for gears?

Staying in D has nothing to do with the diesel engine. In OD, a 700,whether in a gasser or a diesel, will "gear hunt"(kinda like what you described in your first post), and there's speculation that this constant shifting can lead to premature wear and uneccessary heat buildup.

If you choose to rebuild your 700, I highly recommend you install a quality stacked-plate auxilliary tranny cooler. And unless you are very mechanically-minded and have access to a lot of specialty tools, I would leave the rebuild to a pro.

5. ONTARIO'S CARL

THERE IS NO TAG ON MY DIFF THAT I CAN FIND, HOW ELSE CAN I FIND OUT MY GEARING.
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, CARL

6. Can Can

Why are you yelling? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Do you have an option sticker somewhere on your truck? Check the glovebox or maybe inside the engine bay on the driver's side wheelwell.....