Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 trans shifts to fast

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sting, Nov 1, 2000.

1. sting

sting Registered Member

I have a 84 and when i pull away from a stop sign 1st is ok 2nd gear ok and then it shifts 3rd and over
    drive pretty fast almost bogs the motor...some times when driving down the freeway it feels like
    ther is two over drive shifts...any cheap fix ...Its a 84 350 vortec with 308's inthe rear...some one told me
    I need to replace the torque converter....It seems to shift worse or faster when its been driven about
    30 miles......other times shifts are normal...usually when cold....

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Well it sounds like it might be rebuild time. The earlier 700R4 aren't as strong as the later ones and they are more prone to failures. You might want to have a tranny shop look at it if you can find a shop you trust that doesn't just tell you to rebuild it so they'll get money.

90K5

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The two over drive shifts you feel are A)the tranny shifting into OD B)the torque convertor locking up.
    If you want to confirm this wait until the second 'shift' and without removing your foot from the gas very lightly tap the brakes, just enough to get the tailites to come on, you should feel the torque convertor 'unlock'.
    You might need to re-adjust the TV cable, any Haynes or Chiltons manual will tell you how to do this, its pretty straight forward.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

mine shifts a little soon, just depends on how much foot I have in it. It shifts nice and smooth while driving easy, and pretty stiff when romping. Im getting a hard clunk when I put mine in gear when its hot, but when its cold, it engages as smooth as a babys ass. I was thinking torque converter, but the TV cable would be easier and cheaper to check first. I just need to get someone to tell me how or get off my ass and read the manual.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

5. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Hey 90K5,

Me again.

Question: Ready to buy the new tranny! If I go to the dealer (36month/50,000mi.) and get the tranny for my application, am I going to get an updated tranny? How can I make sure one way or the other? Where can I find out about these jet700's?

Thanks,

Bob

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Drop your trans and take it to a shop like AAmco trans. they offer free trans. checks. I really dont know how much of an inconvience this could be but you will be able to find out what is wrong. I had to do it and they determined that a bad valve and spring spring somewhere was the problem. Only spent $60 and change for the fix.

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Bad shifting does not mean you need a new trans. I also suggest a tranny shop, most offer free test drives. Most trans problems can be fixed with trans still in truck. Make sure to install aux. cooler if you don't have one. Check for correct fluid level and condition. These will all affect the way the trans shift. T.V. cable should also be checked and adjusted as the other post stated.

8. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Jet Preformance
    17491 Apex Circle Dept. CC
    Huntington Beach, CA 92647

www.jetchip.com
    Dealer Info: 1-800-736-8513
    Transmission Dept: 714-848-4200

9. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

dm had it- adjust more tv - it will shift later then-jess

10. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Thanks josephn.

Am looking into the jet transmission. Not sure if it's worth the extra expense.

I've been pretty happy with the stock 700r4. Any thoughts?