Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 (TV cable) to 400 (Kick Down)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ftn96, Aug 12, 2002.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Will I need to make or buy a different bracket to attach the kickdown to my TBI unit or can I use the existing TV cable bracket?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The Turbo 400 only needs to have a vacuum line run from the intake manifold to the modulator, and an electric kickdown switch wired in at the throttle pedal. The holes are already on the pedal bracket to mount the switch. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif One side of the switch goes to the kickdown connector on the tranny, the other side goes to a fused, switch 12V source. When you floor the pedal, the switch closes and tells the tranny to downshift. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

So, no additional purchases?
    Know anybody that wants to buy a TCI 700? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Nope, it's a pretty easy swap, except for mating your transfer case to it. What are you going to do there? Are you swapping in a different t-case or buying an adapter to make the current one bolt to the Turbo 400? Will you have to have the driveshaft lengths changed?

Don't need a TCI 700R4 here. I've got a 700R4 with 7,800 miles on it, from the same 'vette that donated the TPI engine for my K5, laying in the garage. It's been in my way for 12 or 13 years now. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I'm sure that some day I'll find a use for it. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

This 400/with adapter, is from a 208. I purchased a 241 32 spline input gear that I need to install. Then more than likely I'll have to have the Highangle 1350 Rear C/V shortened adn have the front lengthened. But I can split those up on different pay checks. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Plus I'll prolly have to move the T-case shifter cover back 2" as well as elongate the whole. But the Dewalt 4 1/2" electric grinder is Ready. I believe that is the best tool I have ever picked up. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/cool.gif