Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

7000w propane generator

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bad_bo_ti, May 21, 2003.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i have a chance to buy a 7000w propane generator for cheap, i was looking around the web and noticed a lot of people saying porpane for a generator isnt as good as gas or diesel, if i were to purchase this, how hard would it be to convert to gas or diesel? thanks chris.

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

hell, If I was buying a generator, I would buy a propane model. WHy are they saying "it's not as good"?

we got rid of the gas burner at the plant I worked at and went ot propane. It has its advantages

1)no fuel storage problems that you get with gas (and easier to store LARGE amounts of fuel)
    2)no having to worry with cold weather start problems like with diesel

3. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Another benefit of propane is it burns a heck of a lot cleaner than gas or diesel, therefore you get less crap building up in your oil and so forth...

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i think what i am going to do if i buy it is run it with my 40lb tank and see how it does, that will be one disadvantage to propane for me there arent alot of propane dealers locally, guess i will just buy me a couple more tanks or get me a big one for outside. thanks for the input

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

most of the propane powered units will also run on natural gas if you have that. More expensive than propane, but it's not like you are running it all the time.

I don't know if it requires changing anything out or not (my heater will run on both, but requires that I change a valve out or somethign or another)