Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R-4 4-3 kickdown

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Is there any way to stop a 700R-4 from kicking down when you start to give it more gas? Is there a way to do this without hurting the tranny in any way. The reason I ask is because I am going to switch to 4.56 gears this summer, and for a while I will have to run 32" tires. The cruise at 65 (in OD) is about 2200 RPM, but kickdown is about 3150RPM. I really dont want hit my motor with that many RPM's when I am running uphill sections. If I could open throttle more I wouldn't need to kickdown. Is there a fix? I have heard of a kit that stops kickdown until about 3/4 throttle kit from B&M (I think). Has anyone run this? If so does it work? Also what about a manual valve body. Would this be a fix for my problem? I manual shift half the time anyway, so it is no big deal to me. Thanks

Harley

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Harley...
    That would be sweet if you mut a manual valve-body in your 700 so the shift patern is P-R-N-1-2-3-4...how fun would that be...you can change the kickdown with the TV cable but that leads to a burnt up tranny, so it's not a viable option...Do you think it will drop to third that much with 4.56's and your 300+ HP? I think it should hold 4th for you pretty well...but the is just my opinion...

Chris

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe a Corvette valve is available that does this as well. I'd trust a GM part (heck, most anyones) over a B&M one.

4. Hossbaby50

I don't think it would kickdown much with my motor, but there are some long uphill sections I drive quite often that might cause kickdown, and I really don't want to kickdown to 3000+ RPM.

5. Hossbaby50

Do you know a part number, or any more info on this corvette value? Thanks

Harley

6. René

René 1/2 ton status

I have this “downshift kit” from B&M and it works great. The transmission shifts down when I give more then ¾ gas and I can drive nearly max. speed in the [D].
    Perhaps a diesel governor (?) can help you against the high rpm’s?

7. TULSAK5

TULSAK5 Registered Member

I had a 3/4 shift valve in a past K5 and it worked great. Before I put it in, I was having the same problem you are. I recommend it.

8. dyeager535

Since I don't follow 700R4 stuff much anymore (thank goodness lol) I'm not *positive* but I'm thinking it was a Corvette TV valve. I'd think any of the later model Camaro sites would list the part and probably the number as well. I believe the Corvettes were the ONLY 700's (maybe cop cars) that didn't have a 4-3 kickdown "feature"

9. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Performace Automotive Transmission Center make a full throttle 3-4 gear upshift sleeve. It is supposed to elimate part throttle 4-3 downshifts. They want 49.00 for it

10. Hossbaby50

Do you have a website address?

11. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

Maybe you can use the corvette stuff, I recommend the B&M kit, it works good for me, it allows almost 90% of full throttle before it kicks down.

12. dyeager535

Here ya go:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm about halfway down.

"#20. 700R4 full throttle 3-4 up-shift sleeve. Now you can have a full throttle 3-4 shift. At 80 MPH it takes 90% throttle to make a 4-3 downshift. Can be installed without removing the valve body. The Up-shift Sleeve also eliminates part throttle 4-3 downshift for less gear searching. This is an extra option on the 700 Raptor. Cost $49.00"

13. Hossbaby50

Thanks for all the info.