Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R-4 Adjustments

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadBowTie, Aug 22, 2000.

1. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

I've been playing with my new 383. My tranny shift great under all conditons except Wide Open Throttle(WOT). Under normal & medium acceleration the shifts are timely and firm-to-hard. The tranny is stock no shift kit. When at WOT the first to second shift is sloppy. It appears not to want to shift , then lags with a soft shift. Any Ideas? Other than staying out of the throttle.

<font color=purple>Rick
    86 K-5</font color=purple>

http://www.BigBadBowTie.ColoradoK5.com

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the TV cable is slightly out of adjustment. Having said that, I can't help any further, because proper TV cable adjustment seems to be part witchcraft and part sorcery!!!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

An haynes or a chiltons will show you how to adjust cable.
    not hard at all.

4. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

Know how to adjust the cable, but with the Edelbrock Vortec Intake Manifold the carb sits about 1" higher, so the adjustment to the cable is slighlty different. I was hoping someone would recognize the symptons, & know to add or take a way a click in the adjustment

<font color=purple>Rick
    86 K-5</font color=purple>

http://www.BigBadBowTie.ColoradoK5.com

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I am working on this right now. I will let you know what I find out. The tranny shop near me says that for firmer shifts you click the little adjuster out, as in closer to the throttle linkage and further from the TV cable case. I'm not sure if that is correct or not, since I know adjusting the cable in raises the shift points. I do know that it has to be adjusted right. With your new intake, is the TV cable mounting still in line with the carb shift linkage like it was before? If you have it at a different angle, the amount of pull relative to the amount of throttle opening will be different and the TV won't work right. I have a book that gives the correct dimensions for a TV setup with an aftermarket carb, but unless you have somehow changed the geometry between the TV cable mount and the throttle linkage, you should be OK.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

6. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status