Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R-4 dipstick leaking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Dec 4, 2001.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

This may be an easy question but I really don't know what's involved. How hard is it to change the dipstick gasket where it goes into the tranny? Anything special that has to be done, any hints or tips??
    Thanks

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Nope, Just pull the dipstick tube out. You might want to take the pan off to keep from making a mess. Then simply remove it and replace it with a new one. If you take the dipstick out without draining the fluid you are going to have a red water fall. [​IMG]

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Might as well change the fluid and filter while your at it. If you pull the dipstick tube out you will get fluid everywhere. You will have to clean off the area where the dipstick tube goes into the transmission. You will get some dirt and gunk in the hole down in your fluid, so my suggestion is to drop the pan change the fluid and filter and while your at it put a drain plug in the pan.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just so you know, get the gasket at the GM parts counter. It's about $1.50.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

And your sure its the dipstick tube and not the TV cable thats leaking? Both bolt in the same area....would suck to do one then realize the other was leaking. BUT I'm not positive the TV cable has a gasket, since it is plastic. (anyone?)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?