Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r output shaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bushmaster, Mar 22, 2004.

1. bushmaster

bushmaster 1/2 ton status

any 1 ever swap an output shaft on this tranny? is it a major job

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I have never done one myself, but IIRC you have to tear the tranny all the way down to change the shaft. If you are going to tear it down , you might want to look into a rebuild and some upgrades while you are there. Why are wanting to change? I assume for adapting over to the 203 range box for a doubler.

3. bushmaster

brand new raptor tranny now im thinking about using a 205 instead of the 208

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

The shaft of the 700r4 comes out the rear but you have to dig most of the guts out to get it out anyway. There is a special tool required as well. The tool itself compresses springs for you so you can get all the parts out.

5. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Not sure about swapping shafts but...

Look into the adapter that lets you use the stock output shaft instead. It will save a lot of headaches with shaft to pan clearance and you don't have to swap out the shaft. I can't remeber the name of the adapter, something like Fitz-all, a search with"700" should get some results.

6. bushmaster

yeah thats what im looking for, /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif hard to believe no one makes a coupler to go from 1 spline to the next

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What is your 205 from, a 350? If it is from a 350 then it will bolt up with the 700 but use the spacer so you don't have your front driveshaft hitting the tranny pan. If you chose not to use the spacer then you need to completely tear down the 700 and replace the output shaft with the short version for use with the 205.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there is no special tool required to get down to the output shaft snap ring. it took me about 30 to 45 min to swap mine out.

pull the pan off
    pull filter out
    pull wiring
    pull valve body
    pull servo
    pull band retainer (magnet)
    pull governer
    pull pump
    pull band
    pull pull input assembly (reverse input drum and input housing assembly)
    inside the planetary gears is the snap ring for the output shaft. push the shaft up and remove the snap ring and pull shaft out
    installation is reverse of removal

if you havent run it yet, you should not have to replace any gaskets/filter unless you damage them
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

10. bushmaster

dont know what to do . take a chance with 208 and hope it lives maybe put a sye in with a cv drive shaft. or spend 5-600 on adapters to run 205 and have some 1 open my new tranny /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

run the 208, save your $$$ for other stuff
    the 208 even has a better low range /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I have a new in the box Tek Pak Fitz All adaptor/spacer that I need to sell. This adaptor/spacer will allow you to put a 203 or a 205 behind any 700R4 with no shaft mods. $70 shipped.
    Like Orion said, you'll get better driveshaft clearance using this spacer.
    PM me if you're interested.

13. bushmaster

what exactly is it ? a spacer and a coupler with 2 diffrent splines? i have a 205 that came from a 465 it has the corse 10 spline

14. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

The spacer is just that,a spacer. It allows you to use a 700 with the stock output shaft(27 spline, IFRC) with a th350 version 205(also 27 spline) and the stock coupler and adapter. If the output shaft you originally posted about is the one from Advanced Adapters, it is just a shorter version of the 27 spline original shaft.

[ QUOTE ]
    i have a 205 that came from a 465 it has the corse 10 spline

[/ QUOTE ]
    As far as I know there is nothing readily available to hook the 10 spline 205 to a 27 spline 700. th350/205 was a common factory setup so people just use one of them rather go to the trouble of adapting the 1-other.

If I were you I would just use a 208 or 241 unless you are dead set on a 205. If so, you could probably trade your 10 spline for a 27 spline version. Or better yet,just buy the 205 and adapter from Bigdaddyof2. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

This topic has been covered here a couple times, try a search. You might find the answers to most of your questions that way.

15. bushmaster

thanks for all the info guys im going to stick with the 208