Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badfish4tail, Feb 24, 2006.

1. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

Will a 700r from a 2WD work in a 4WD if I just remove the rear cone from the 2WD?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

no, the output shaft is about 2.75" longer on the 2wd than on a 4wd.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

do you have one for a 2wd available, or on hand??? i'm gonna need one soon :D

Mr. front axle buddy:D

4. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

humm, i knew that the shaft was longer as well but i could have swarn than they were different splines too, but dont quote me on that. eather way you are looking at taking the ENTIRE 2wd tranny appart to change that shaft. and tearing appart your old 700 to do the same (if you wanted to use that shaft from that)
    lots of work
    LUKE

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Spline count is the same on either one, but the 4WD output shaft is way shorter.

The swap isn't difficult at all for someone that knows what they're doing. A friend and I tore down a 2WD and 4WD version and swapped the 4WD output shaft to the 2WD trans in less than an hour.

The major steps are: remove front pump, release and remove outer band, remove one large C-clip, lift out entire planetary and clutch assembly as an entire unit, remove C-clip on output shaft and out it comes. Reverse the order to reassemble. I was amazed at how easy it was.

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

You might be able to cut the output, if the splines are cut all the way up close to the case like the 4WD. IIRC, the 4WD is different at the bell hsg also, and I don't know if the 2WD has the struts.

7. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

it was 100$ plus the 4wd trans to have mine swaped at a loacal transmision shop

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

that is preaty much all you have to do, you may have to pull the valve body if you can't get the band back on the retainer pin. sometimes its tricky because you have to have the reverse input drum in before to put the band on and there is little room to get it on the pin.
    yea its a peice of cake if you know what you are doing, usually takes me about 30-45 minutes once its on the bench.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My buddy used a trick that may be useful in your job... He places an old flexplate on top of a 5 gallon bucket. He then places the trans output shaft through the center hole of the flexplate and stands the trans on end. Makes it pretty easy to lift out the innards. :cool1: