Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r transmission made by whom?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by justwhatido, Jun 4, 2004.

1. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

And how do I get in touch with them?

When the old engine comes out I will have the tranny and transfer case looked at and feel the rebuilds are in order for both (1973 Blazer). I'd rather have a four speed auto and feel like the least trouble down the road will to purchase both as a pair or unit.

I need advise from the savvy /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Easiest way is to go down to your local Chev dealer and order a new 700R4 (4L60) and a new 241 Xfer case (with mechanical spedo gear). Prolly have to adapt the rear mount/ move crossmember and driveline to fit the new combo.
    You will also need the linkage for the TV cable and a torque convertor lock up kit.

3. justwhatido

so the 700r is a factory produced automatic transmission?

What are the factory gear ratios? anyone know? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yea, the 700r4 came in Chevy and GMC vehicles starting in 82. the later ones are a whole lot better than the old ones.

the ratios are
    1st 3.06
    2nd 1.57
    3rd 1.00
    4th 0.70

5. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

The cases were better starting in '88 I think.

Most aftermarket shops use these cases, that is what I would recommend if you are going to run it hard. You may compare prices with aftermarket, I got mine for a little more than a rebuild would have cost.

I also decided to put in a doubler at the same time and had the tranny shop put in the output shaft to mate it to the NP203, which is probley what you have right now. So you just need to find a NP205. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Welcome to the addiction. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    so the 700r is a factory produced automatic transmission?

What are the factory gear ratios? anyone know? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    everything post 81' came factory with a th700. First gear is 3.06:1 and 3rd is 1:1. overdrive is around %30 or something.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Just so you know one of the reason's to get a GM 700R4 is the warranty. 3yr/36K or 50K (don't remember) BUT if it is not installed in the correct year vehicle the warranty is VOID. Since the 700R4 obviously wasn't factory to a 73 you are SOL on a warranty with it. I was told this by 2 different Chevy dealers about a year ago.

I wanted to replace the 700R4 in my 85 but the tranny for that year is discontinued. So I was going to buy one for an 88 and they told me I could but if I installed it in a 85 the warranty was VOID. Even though the truck is the same, the transfer case is the same, etc, it is still VOID. So you might want to look elsewhere for a tranny.

Harley

8. justwhatido

So an aftermarket 700R with an NP205 transer case?

Anyone know anything about Raptor Transmissions? They have several levels of builds on the 700R that they offer.

I don't need anything really H/D. Not alot of Rock Crawlin in lower Alabama. Just towing the boat, sneaking down to the west end of Dauphin Island, driving to work and maybe a little muddin /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

9. Hossbaby50

Some people on here had alot of problems with Raptor awhile back. It took dozens of emails from users here to get some action taken by the manager.

Bowtie Overdrives has alot better reputation, good product, and better prices.

Harley

10. justwhatido

Ok, What's a doubler? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    everything post 81' came factory with a th700. First gear is 3.06:1 and 3rd is 1:1. overdrive is around %30 or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

not everything post 81 came with a 700R4, the TH350C was still available up to 85 i do believe, and the TH400 was available until at least the mid to late 90s.

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

not everything post 81 came with a 700R4, the TH350C was still available up to 85 i do believe, and the TH400 was available until at least the mid to late 90s.

[/ QUOTE ] I was refering to blazers. Obviously the majority of 3/4 tons and all 1 tons had a different tranny. I have never seen an 82'-up with a th350, yes it was an option but probably extremely rare. You crack me up beater, you try to point out anything you can that think you could correct me on. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. Hossbaby50

A doubler is a dual transfer case setup. It mates the low range box from an NP203 to an NP205 so now you have a 4:1 low range, 2:1 low range, and high range. It is a very strong setup. www.offroaddesign.com is the originator of the doubler. You can read about it there.

Harley

14. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Well you did say "everything" and not Blazers.

Besides, TH350's were not uncommon in the cars.

You crack me up, moderator and you still get corrected all the time /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. Hossbaby50

The 465 was also available and so was the 4L80E. So you both forgot some available.

And he said 4 speed auto in his first post so the 4L80E & 700R4/4L60E are the only ones available in what he was talking about.

Harley

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Well you did say "everything" and not Blazers.

Besides, TH350's were not uncommon in the cars.

[/ QUOTE ]
    First off, who cares about cars...this isn't www.cars.com....it's a truck website and more specifically blazers/Jimmys. I was refering that all blazers and jimmys after 81' came factory with 4 speed autos(th700)

[ QUOTE ]
    And he said 4 speed auto in his first post so the 4L80E & 700R4/4L60E are the only ones available in what he was talking about.

[/ QUOTE ] Exactly

[ QUOTE ]
    You crack me up, moderator and you still get corrected all the time

[/ QUOTE ] Thats simply incorrect, read more threads...BS /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

17. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

You so silly!