Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 2wd to 4wd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by petryshyn, Nov 30, 2004.

1. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

I am getting a 700r4 out of a 2wd will this fit in a 86 blazer, or are their any differences betweeen it. It came out of a diesel does that matter. Also does a two year difference make anydifference, (two years older than the blazers.)

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I don't know all the exact spline count numbers and all that stuff, but I do know for fairly certain that a 2wd tailshaft won't bolt to a np208. You'll have to swap tailshafts, which entails a total teardown of the tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Or I could be wrong.

3. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

Anyone know if i would have to rip the tranny apart to swap tailshafts? From all i could find searching the net is that is the only difference, also that their is two different bolt patterns. What else should i know before i try this and find out it can't work. Need to know cause i found a cheap 2wd rebuilt 700r4. Thanks.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes you have to tear the tranny down to replace the output shaft. the only two bolt patterns is the 4 cyl/small v6 bellhousing and 4.3/v8 bellhousing

if the tranny is a 84, i would look for another trans, the early ones are bad and had LOTS of problems, if your looking for a good used tranny, look for a 87 and newer. GM worked preaty much all the bugs out by then and are quite good trannys in stock form.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Diesel tranny's have a different tourque converter(stall speed is different)--it will bolt up to the gas motor,but it might feel like it wants to "creep"and lug the motor down at a stoplight.
    I thought they had a "spacer" thing you could use to adapt the 2wd to 4wd,by removing the tail on the 700R4? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif--I have seen a few in the junkyards,but I havent ever dealt with the 700R4 other than R&R them(LOTS of them!).Maybe an advance adapter part /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

6. muddinallday

muddinallday Registered Member

advance adapters has an adapter for the 2 to 4wd tranny swap. i put one into my k-5. you'll have to put a gas torque converter in it but thats it. or you can do the red neck way and just cut the tail shaft off til it fits. but yes it will bolt right up after you do that. my .02, add a good tranny cooler perferably one with a fan on the cooler. dont run the one into the radiator. ive burnt up 2 trannies then did the external cooler and havnt had a problem since.