Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 2WD vs 4WD ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fwdjunky, Aug 26, 2005.

1. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I'm considering going to the dark side and giving up my SM465. I will always prefer the 4 speed but the fact is that as the trails I'm doing are getting more extreme the automatics just seem to work better. To that end, I have a chance to buy a low milage 2WD 700R4 from a '90 Caprice. I know the tail housing will need to be changed out for the t-case adapter and I'll need to find the heavier dust cover. Are there any other significant differenences? Are the bosses for the engine to tranny support rod there but need to be drilled and tapped? (I haven't actually been able to look at the case yet) Thanks for your help guys!

Rich

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

From what I remember, the bosses for the support rods are all on the thick aluminum dust cover. I am not positive, but I believe the 700r4s are basically the same. You'll probably need a different tailshaft if I remember correctly. And make sure the insides are upgraded for the added stress of the larger vehicle; servo, band, probably clutches too. Need a different TV cable most likely...

Id just get one out of a truck, and rebuild it if you have to. I wouldnt even mess with the 2WD. Or get one from Bowtie Overdive (when my 700 goes, gettin one of those). For a kicka$$ automatic, Id look at a TH400 swap. A lot stronger. Not as prone to failure. Id do it, but I dont want to ditch the overdrive. If you wanna keep the overdrive, look at a 4L80E swap.

Just a thought.

3. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I appreciate the input. The reason I'm looking at a 700 is that I have a 27 spline input klune box that will be going behind it. I can either change the klune input shaft to 32 spline (about $200) and go with a T400 or leave the klune as is and use a 700R4 or T350. Since I'm not running big power (mildly built tbi 5.7) and all the torque multiplication is happening down stream of the tranny, I was thinking a 700 might live in there. The T 350 is probably a better choice, but finding an adapter to fit the 6 round pattern of the klune is a PITA. I'd need to find a fairly rare early 80's adapter from a T350-208 combo or use a 700 adapter and a spacer. Also, the lower 1st gear of the 700 is attractive. It's going to get a manual valve body no matter what (T400-350 or 700). I'm not sure yet if I'd still need the TV cable for the 700 with the manual valve body. Damn....why can't this just be easy? :doah:

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Isn't the Caprice tranny electronically controlled?

I think the output shaft is different, which would mean finding a 4WD output shaft and tearing the 2WD tranny completely apart to swap it in. I think the tailhousing just unbolts and then you can bolt a tranny to T-case adapter on.

5. 90BCk5

90BCk5 1/2 ton status

just look for a 4wd 700 out of a truck, save yourself the hassle . less prone to cracking around the bell housing and stronger all around.. thats what my tranny guy told me anyway.. i re-used the one out of my blazer and rebuilt it to the nines... i have a th400 in my garage but didnt want to give up the od either.....good luck

6. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I guess I'll let this one pass. Anyone got an early 80's T350-208 out there? :wink1:

7. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is nothing wrong with the 700r4 the 2-4wd versions are the same you still have to use the TV cable no matter what. Go with it, you can get a built one or build one same price as a 350 or 400. If you use a 2wd trans the only thing you need is a short shaft put in got mine done for about $60 or so you can buy the shaft from just about anybody. I would go the 700r4 route it even has a lower first gear if my memory is correct and you get overdrive. The only ones they had problems with were the first ones that they made the newer ones seem to work fine.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

they were not electronic until starting in 92

VSS began mainly in 92 and rest in 93 pretty much and in 93 they went to electronic($L60E)

the 2wd one will not work for you as you will have to swap not only the tailhousing but also the shaft as the 2wd one is really long
    trade it for a 4x4 one or go pay and have it converted to 4x4 output but it will cost ya

good luck