Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 / 460LE Automatic Overdrive Conversion Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TallCowGirl, May 20, 2000.

1. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

Hi Folks...I'm thinking about buying a 73 Blazer and I would like to replace the stock TH350 three speed automatic with an overdrive unit. It has the NP203 transfer case. The current owner has added a shift lever and hubs for the front wheels so that the transfer case is no longer in full time four wheel drive mode. With this in mind, how does it affect the overdrive transmission swap? Would I need a new steering column or get a floor shifter? Would it be better to get a manual NV4500 and NP205 transfer case?

Thanks,
    TCG

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    You won't need a new steering colum shifter. If you craw under neight the truck you will see a long rod that comes out next to the steering shaft going to the box. Follow it down to the trans. You will see a cupling connecting it to the trans with a bolt on the side. If you loosen up the bolt you can "adjust" the linkage. This will work on the trans if you swap it. ALso, you would prob. just have to get a conversion kit from advance adapters IF you need one at all. It should boil down to if the output shaft on the trans is the same as on the T-case & bolt patters match up. I can't help you with this. Tho, I have been told I could put a 203 in my 88 w/700r4 with little to no modification.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

You will need some adapters, or get a 700R4 (overdrive automatic) with a NP208 transfer case already mounted to it. The 700R4 should bolt up to your engine, but you would need to drill new mounting holes for the cross braces for the tranny and transfer case. Also, since this will be longer, you'll need to shorten your rear drive shaft and lengthen your front one. The swap to a NV4500 and NP205 will be much more involved and expensive, but in my opinion the better way to go. You'll need some adapters and clutch pedel and driveshaft work again. Try this link...
    http://www.advanceadapters.com/index.html

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

4. 83K5

83K5 Registered Member

You'll also need something to lock up the converter . 700R4's have lock up converters . Performance people sell a kit that will do this . Otherwise you need a computer to do this .