Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 -> 4L80-E

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GadgetK5, Nov 8, 2001.

1. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

I’m planning on replacing my (shot) 700R-4 with a 4L80-E. I have a 350 with a 208 TC. What kind of issues will I have bolting it up? Do I need to replace the transfer case as well (I was going to rebuild it anyway)?

’83 K5, 350, 700R-4, 208. All shot. (I Like a challenge!)

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

From what i've heard the 4L80E is basically a TH400 with overdrive and has the same sort of bolt patern on the tail, the six bolt round pattern, instead of the TH350/700R4 4 bolt pattern, so a new t-case is in order, the front should bolt right on, but you will have to move the cross member, and probably do some driveshaft mods, good luck.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

4L80Es are also electronically controlled so you'll have to make sure you have all the proper wiring......I don't know exactly what you'll need but I'd imagine there would be some wiring issues you'll have to deal with seeing you have an 83.

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

4. GadgetK5

That's the reason I'm going with the 4L80-E -- I've got the computer side handled.

I may, however, just get the 700R4 rebuilt; any opinions on that tranny?

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Good for you, brother[​IMG].......I'm sure there's a bunch of us here(including me) that would appreciate it if you wrote up a review of the install.

Just out of curiosity, what wiring and stuff do you need for the swap?

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

6. GadgetK5

There are a few controllers available to handle the 4L80-E and 4L60-E, but they don’t do everything I’d like them to do.

I’m working on a project that will do this and more. I will be documenting the process, and I’ll post it when I’m done, but I may be a way off – the H/W development is going slow.

Unfortunately, I can’t go into specifics until we get our patent straightened out.

To answer your question about the wiring, the 4L80-E and 4L60-E have a similar wiring harness (same connector, different pins) that control the 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift, 3-4 shift, 3-2 shift, Force Motor and TC Lockup; most of these are solenoids that need a constant 12V, and pull-to-ground when you want to engage; the Force Motor and TC need a PWM signal. The rest of the wires I can’t remember off the top of my head.

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You need to use a hardware freindly language ! (vhdl maybe ?)

8. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

If you do decide to rebuild the 700, check out the do-it-yourself article in this months (late) 4 Wheel &amp; off-road. If you do it yourself, let us know what it was like.