Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 all the same?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hammer, Dec 25, 2002.

1. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

My father-in-law blew up his 87 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif 700r4 with the 208 and I an going to put in my spare 84 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif 700r4 and 208 is it the same as far as lock-up and exact replacement. Only thing I hate is auto tranny's
    I heard that as long as it is out of a /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif, /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifor a /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif its ok not a S10 is garbage for a /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif
    thanks

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

there are probably some internal differences, but the '84 should bolt in to replace the '87. The torque convertor from the '87 won't fit the '84, I think '84 was the last year for the 27 spline input for the torque convertor. Everything else should hook-up for you, be sure and flush out the tranny cooler and lines before hooking them up to the replacement transmission, it may be full of garbage from the bad transmission.

3. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

If I'm not mistaken the 700's from S10's with the 2.8 won't bolt up because the bellhousing is a different shape, but I think the ones from the 4.3's are the same pattern. I don't think they are as strong as one from a fullsize truck though. The tranny from the 84 will work, but like said before, I think the 84 is 27 spline and the 87 is 30. Hope that makes sense.

4. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

thanks guy's now I have to shovel out the spare truck in a foot of snow and pull the tranny and transfer to put it in the /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif this weekend.