Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 and 203 is possible w/o AA

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rhuarc31, Nov 26, 2005.

1. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

K, here it is, it is possible to put a 700r4 to a 203 without a new shaft from advance adapters or a spacer. Cut the output shaft off between 1 9/16 and 1 5/8. Chamfer the edges. Easy so far right? Now take the tool of your choice, I used a dremel with a flexishaft and cut off wheel, and lengthen the splines to where the shaft widens out. It will now bolt right to your 203.
    Why do this? Well mostly cause I'm broke, no money to buy a new th350 since I cracked the case and fragged mine, but had a good 700 sitting around that'd I'd gotten as part of another truck and didn't use.
    In theory this could create durability issues, I know. But wheeled it pretty hard with no breakage yet. And if I do break it, well I'm not out any money, and hopefully I'll have a little more then so I can buy the output shaft from advance adapters and put it in.
    Also love the extra low first gear to help turn the 44's. Didn't even have to modify the drive shafts, since the front was a little too long already - what caused the tranny breakage - and the rear a little short. Though if you didn't have those problems to begin with ...

2. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

cool. dose this mean you can put a th350 in place of a 700r4?with out money.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Think going the other way would be tougher -- making the shaft longer, as it were, is difficult.

-- A

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

44s and a th700? Me thinks you want a th400. I wouldn't respline a tranny output shaft that way personally... Im sure if you were super careful it might work, but just using a spacer seems like it would work a lot better. If you can't afford the $50 spacer, you can't even afford the gas to go wheelin', so it shouldn't be that much of a problem...right?

j

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

What if you use the longer TH700/208 adapter, and redrill the 203 for 6-bolt pattern? That should work too. ;)

6. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

Well the truck had a full tank of gas when I did this so didn't have to worry about that. And last I checked by the time I got the tail shaft from advance adapters and paid shipping, and paid someone to put it in I was getting a lot closer to $200. And you're right, I probably do need a 400 and 205, got one for free? Hell, I'm running a dana 44 front with those 44's, the front axles break long before the tranny :haha:
    Anyway the main point is that it is possible if you need/want a cheap fix and have the extra tranny lying around.
    Oh and on the 350 instead of a 700 try using a long tailshaft th350, maybe even one from a 2wd. That'd get you close enough to tweak it into place. And for the 208 adapter and redrilling the t-case, well I didn't want to have to take the t-case apart, and definitly didnt' want metal shavings in the case. Also I think it would interfere with mounting the shifter.

7. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Hmmm. 700r4 with 203 and WMS 3.1 low range! :p: would that work? how about a th400 with 6 bolt adapter to 203 and 3.1? :D

8. Tux

Tux Registered Member

Does anyone know where to purchase above mentioned spacer kit?

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have a new one I didn't use. $65 to your door...

10. Tux

Tux Registered Member

hold that for me for a week and ill take it
    pm me for email details

11. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Shoot me an email at dpindustries@yahoo.com

I tried to pm you, but got an error message saying you could not accept pms.