Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 and 205 combo questions?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Highjaxx, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Which year and type of original tranny do I need to look for when buying the 205? Doesn't ORD make a conversion output shaft for the 700R4? I'd like to have fixed yoke on but sides. I may need to get a 400 tranny later if I keep blowing 700R4's, so I'd like it to be a bolt up with a 400 if possible. Thank you, Aaron highjaxx@hotmail.com /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

Any 205 that came behind a TH350 tranny will work for a 700r4 if you change the output shaft in the 700.Or I hear there is a spacer you can get to mount between the tranny and adapter so you don't need the special output shaft in the tranny.
    The 205 behind a TH400 has a different input shaft so you will need to modify the 205 from a TH350 or get one from a 400.
    Some 205's came with a slip yoke and some with a fixed yoke, so you have to make sure which one you are getting. You can also get all the parts to convert to a fixed yoke thru ORD.
    Either way, make sure you get the adapter with the transfer case.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

That's the scoop, now I don't have to type all that.
    Bolting up to both isn't really feasable, different parts all over the place.

4. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

What exactly did you do to beef up your 700R4 in the K5. My mechanic friend rebuilt mine last time, so if you can be exact I could get it done too. It's a '91 case. Soon to get a '92 TBI 454 out of a one ton. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif And I'd like to make it a reliable as possible. As my transfer case is leaking tranny fluid I'm in the market for the best options. This would be my third tranny in four years and second transfer case in two. I'd like a 454/700R4/205. Thank you for your time, Aaron highjaxx@hotmail.com

5. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Also will your ORD motor mounts work to install that 454 in my Sub?

6. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Would it be easier with all the electronics on the '92 454 to combine it with a 4L80? Could I put a NP205 behind that? I would like to this right the first time. I'm open to suggestions.

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Yes the motor mounts will work, no problem.

On the trans, my TH700 was a new or rebuilt unit straight from GM that we took apart and put a b&m transkit in. So far it went a long way behind the 383 and seems reasonbly happy with the 468.

The best way I think would be to use a 4L80 if you can find one with all the right stuff. They are really tough and you can put a 205 behind it. You basically treat it like a TH400 as far as the adapters go. The TH700 can be built to work with a big block in a heavy vehicle but no matter what it's got smaller parts and will be less durable in the long run. Problem is the 4L80 is really expensive.