Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 and NP205 answers !!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TexasDan, Oct 14, 2005.

1. TexasDan

TexasDan Registered Member

I have for several months now been looking for a simple way of going from a Turbo 350 trans with NP205 TC to a 700R4 trans and the NP205 TC.

Well the answer is simple. There is none. I purchased the 7Q35A that everyone seems to THINK :haha: will work. It want. Its to short. The Advanced Adapters has a conversion that requires a shaft change. Transmission Parts USA also has a adapter but requires the same change.

The 7Q35A is only 1.875 inches long. A 700R4 trans less the tailshaft housing has 7.875 inches sticking out. The shaft is splined for 3.875 inches. The mounting bracket that connects the Turbo 350 to NP205 is 3.5 inches. The shaft out of the NP205 is 2.5 inches from the case, (1 inch inside the bracket).

If you cut off 1.875 inches of the 700R4 trans. Create a 5 inch adapter of the 7Q35A then everything will work.

I will be cutting the adapter at our shop next week and will post pictures when its done. www.ltw.net

TexasDan

2. joeysworld

joeysworld Registered Member

Similar coincidence,

I had just posted a reply on a th350-np203, to a 700r4-np203 conversion.

I had a reply stating that there is an adapter for my conversion (mid seventies chevy updated from a th350, to a 700r4 trans).

Have you thought about converting over to an np208?

NP208 sounds like a natural conversion, but I may be opening up another can of worms since I am using a mid seventies chevy as my point of reference!?

3. TexasDan

np205

Not really. I have two NP205's. One was behind a Turbo 400 the other behind a Turbo 350. The 700R4 was a B&M version that came out of a race car.

4. joeysworld

joeysworld Registered Member

I'm really interested in the 700r4 coversion myself.
    Really for daily driving(gas expense), and for the lower first gear.

Sounds like the 700r4 you got is a good one. I'd like to look into one like yours. From reading on your trans, it sounds like it's a keeper.

Post back when you get a chance and let us know on how the projects going!

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

sounds like the tranny you have has the 2wd output shaft.

the 4wd shaft does not stick out of the case anywhere near 7", its more like 4", maybe 3, havn't measured it.

6. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The four wheel drive version is a lot shorter and you can cut it off only have to cut like 3/4 inch. Just buy the shaft from AA and get it put in or put it in had mine done for $60, worth every penny.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Now I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but it sure as hell sounds like You have a 2 wheel drive tranny and not a 4 wheel drive one.

8. TexasDan

700r4

Yes it is out of a 2 wd. When someone ask if you want a 700R4 for free and all it needs is a torque convertor, you take it. The research that I've done shows that the 4x4 700R4 is much shorter. I had hoped that the splines on the tail shaft were a lot longer than they are.

I now have a adapter to make a new adapter. It will have to be 5" long and I'll still have to cut 2" off the tail shaft. The company that I work for has it's own machine shop. I've allready talked to a few guys in the shop (hot rodders) that will help me at night to make the part. It will be made out of 4130 steel. I'll also make it so that it can be bolted to the trans first and then bolted to the transfer case.

I'll post pictures on my web site when I'm done.

Thanks to all the guys at this forum for some great help and ideas.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

why does the trans need a torque converter? if its because the old one went bad, you might as well write off your free trans as a core, because its either toast, or will be very shortly after installation.

10. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

the bolt threads on the tailshaft of the tranny wont hold, the adapter you are building is in going to allow to much twist . I did the 700-205 with a 4x4 tranny and a 3'' adapter and it would not hold, helicoild it and did it again ! with new motor mounts and t-case brace (frame mount) with new bushings (urethaine )

I would just go with the short shaft :( ( lots of money)
    thats why I have a 350t in now

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I guess god must have "miracled" my set up then... the $50 adapter + stock th350-to-np205 adapter works fine for me behind a 700R4. :surepal:

j

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

From personal experience I will would definitely say stay away from the AA short shaft. Use a stock 4x4 output shaft, buy the $50 spacer, and use a Th350/NP205 adapter.

I used the AA shaft and flange style front output on my 205 and the driveshaft HIT the stock depth pan (NO way you could run a deep pan). I had to have a tinsman of mine modify my pan (i.e. cut it and patch it) to keep the driveshaft from hitting. Those that have the yoke style front output have a little more clearance and don't need to modify the pan, but I don't think they can get away with a deep pan either.

Just my .02 after going through that. If I were to do it again, I would use the stock 4x4 output shaft and adapter without question.....

You could probably cut a 2wd output shaft down to mimick the 4x4 shaft, but I would worry about spline engagement. I haven't researched it, so I don't know if it's a wise idea or not.

13. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if you have a 2wd 700 you need to replace the output shaft anyways and GM wants around 120 for the stock shaft while the AA short shaft is 150. I went throught the same thing starting with a 2wd tranny to mate it to a 203

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i want a 205 for my 700r4 so i can get fixed yoke, i was gonna convert my 208 but decided not to so i sold the parts.

what is the exact spacer that will work with the 350-205 adapter to work perfectly?

ive seen so many treads and they always sound so much more complex then just that???

thanks

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

There isn't one..yet. I am working with Jason to make one that will allow you to bolt everything up w/out having to cut or trim anything on either the spacer or the tranny. If folks are interested in it, I'll keep everyone posted as to what we make and how it works.

16. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

yes keep me informed shane!! id love to send more money ur way :D

17. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Me too!! Me too!!. I am wanting to do this swap soon, but am nervous about hacking the output shaft on a 700R4.

18. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

I'd be interested in the spacer too. I talked with the guys at Offroad Designs and they said the older style 1310 CV joint doesn't hit the stock pan. It is only the new flange style 1310 CV joint that hits.

19. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

My experience exactly. In fact, it is one of the things that prompted me to do a doubler setup early. I needed clearance for my front driveshaft and even a 1310 CV with a smaller diameter shaft was going to be very close to the tranny pan. So, with the doubler setup and a modified crossmember, I am good to go. 700r4 w/ NP203 rangebox, ORD adapter, NP205 TC w/ triple stick setup.

20. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

YES... Very interested! Pleae keep us informed!