Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 AND NP241 WILL IT HOLD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TOMER, Nov 2, 2002.

1. TOMER

TOMER Registered Member

Just bought Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear with 4.10 ,will it work with the stock 700R4 NP241 and 33" mt/r ?
    If not please tall me what should I do?
    thank you all!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Sounds plenty strong to me. It isn't much difference from stock.

3. TOMER

TOMER Registered Member

I ask this question becouse some one how cald him self an expert told me that i need to swap the trany and the t-case to TH400 and NP205 becouse the axels are very big.

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

They are big and add more weight but not enough to hurt anything. if/when you get large tires is when the transmission might have problems but there are plenty of people with your setup but larger tires and don't have any problems.

5. TOMER

TOMER Registered Member

Yessssssssss!!!
    That's wandeful,I hoped to hear that ,now I can grind the calipers and bolt the axle on.
    And from what I anderstend (or want to understand /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) I can go with 35" ?
    Please corect me if I'm wrong.

p.s. sorry about my english. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You will be fine with a 700r4/241. I was running that in mine with 1 ton axles with 4:56 gears and 35's. I am planning to leave the 700r4/241 in Donna's 90 K5 when I swap in the 1 tons with 4:56's and 36" swampers.

7. TOMER

TOMER Registered Member

If I'll go with 3.73 , will it be less hard to the trany or not?

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

It will be harder for the trans and engine since you are running a lower gear ratio. Just make sure your tranny has a nice external oil cooler and you will be fine.

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I would go with the 4:10's. I have 3:73's in Donna's 90 with 31" tires and that is just about a perfect all around combo in my oponion so the 4:10's should net the same results with 33's. One thing to help the trans last is to keep it out of overdrive unless you are cruising about 55 mph or above. Also if you do alot of in town driving the 4:10's will work better because your engine will not lug as much as it would with 3:73's and 33's. On my 89 it was stock with 3:42's and 31" tires and when I went to 4:56's and 35's I was actually getting better gas milage because of how much in town driving I do. The truck just didn't seem to work as hard going from light to light and being stuck in traffic.