Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 beef-up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roadnotca, Jan 17, 2006.

1. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

There has been discussions re, extra steels and frictions in the clutches of the 700; is this trick going around by word-of-mouth, or is there some new lit., or maybe I missed the latest Vette configuration?:confused:

2. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

im also curious about beefing up my 700r4 its already outta my blazer and is being sent in to be rebuilt in the next month. i have heard about getting better cluthes and even vette servos

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I better expand; my interest is in retrofit (you too George?), to the 700s we got kicking around on the garage floor.:haha:

4. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

now days a 700r4 can be built purdy beefy several diff places make alot of good stuff but there are servos that a way better than the vette servos . bowtieoverdrives and www.700raptor.com both of these make good stuff, i bought a kit from raptor after going through 3 trannys , a friend helped on the rebuild, but i stayed with the vette servos untill about a month ago i orderd a new servo kit from 700raptor .

5. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i know a few guys said they had some kind of trouble ordering from 700raptor , but iv orderd a few things and was very impressed with the performance of the things iv orderd from them , im about to order a rebuld kit for my th400 from them and try it out

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ask a good local shop that you know of. They can usually get their hands on different aftermarket performance parts that are just generic copy cats of top notch stuff for 2/3 the cost. It's been so long since I had my 700 all beefed up that I can't even hardly remember all that got done.( thats a good thing right? meaning I haven't had to think about it from the lack of problems:wink1: ). I have an aftermarket converter with a billet center hub and the fins are supposed to be better tuned. Extra clutches in the packs, bigger planetaries IIRC, modified valve body for more flow, and corvette servos.

It was worked out well for me behind my 300HP/425ftlbs 406sbc.

I just had my 47RE in my Ram Cummins diesel done and many of the same principles carry over, a better converter and more flow from the valve body. The 700 seems to have weaker internals where the 47RE needs more attention at the converter because of the diesel's torque.

Anyway, I went through the same shop that did my 700 a few years back for my Dodge 47RE and went with a good aftermarket company that the shop had access to instead of the big trans names that advertise and saved a bunch of money. I'd reccommend you do the same.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the extra steels and frictions have been put in 700r4s for quite a few years. even with a stock rebuild, they are usually put in, depending on what pack it is. the newest thing ive seen is a 1 sided steel/friction, it alows you to put even more in there for unheardof holding capisity for a 700r4. i priced them out once, its mucho expensive, almost not worth trying it unless you NEED it.

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I took the specs from Bowtie Overdrive to a good local shop and we built one for my rig. We left some of the items they use off since the B.O. trannies shift pretty harsh since they tend to build them for street rods.

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

So how did it work-out:confused:

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Remains to be seen. I've only driven it a few times and then parked it to put in a doubler and some other mods. It should be back up and ready for the trail by summer. The few times I took it out on the road it was good.

11. k5rocker

k5rocker Registered Member