Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 blowout thread *ITS DONE!* :)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep on the way to school this morning :(
    2nd gear is completely gone...1st pulls up to about 5,000rpm but when it goes into 2nd there is nothing...
    oh and I can't get it into 3rd....so I'm stuck @ school. I called my dad and he said that we'll figure something out so we'll see.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

there really isn't a lot to figure out. you need a new trans. at least you have first and reverse. you can still move the truck around.

3. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Drive home really, really slow. :D

Time to go 465!

4. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

maybe you already have checked the fluid level?

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Doubt he has reverse either -- Sounds like a busted sunshell.

Avery, you can get it into third if you let off the gas like you were shifting a standard at about 3500 rpm, but it will not downshift back to first, so if you have to stop, you will need to put it into park, and back to drive again.

6. Avery4jc

ok..I'm getting ready to leave school and go to work so I'll try it...this morning I was trying to do that but I was letting off at like 4500 or so...I'll try around 3500 and see what happens :)

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Check the fluid level to make sure its not low.

Also, on the 700 sometimes the shift governors like to go bad and cause the vehicle to rev way up in first (to like 5K) before shifting into second....then many times second doesnt do anything. I know...it happened to me in high school. If its bad enough....it will just stay in 1st and never shift. Before you do anything drastic like change the tranny, make sure to check the governor.

You can find it on the top of the bell housing on the drivers side. There will be a round metal cap over it. Use a screwdriver to pry off the cap and pull out the governor. It has plastic teeth on the end (they look like the teeth on a distributor gear) and if any of them are stripped....thats your problem. Some tranny shops will put a new gear on the end (I wouldnt pay more than about $10 for this because its very easy). Some shops will just give you a governor. Mine has a problem with going out so I carry a spare in the glove box.
    -Harrison

8. Avery4jc

I made it home...my dad's work is near mine so he followed me home to make sure I made it.
    I was able to get it up to 4,000...let off and then get back into the throttle and it would shift into 2nd...2nd is slippery but none the less it helped get me home faster than 20mph in 1st...:)

So fellas it looks like Avery's truck finally gets a new tranny...after the hell I've put it through I guess its time...that and the years of running 3.08's and 38.5's with the previous owner...

9. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

yep thats the way to go..........wait........ my k5 came with one:wink1:

10. Avery4jc

Well guys I had one heck of a blessing in disguise this evening...we were at dinner (my parents and I) and while we were sitting there my mom said, "hey look at this card that was in my box at work today" (she works at the church as a music minister)...I said ok.

I open it up and inside I notice it was from some friends of ours that live back in Nashville...the place where we go for that conference every year that I have mentioned...well inside it said something to the extent that we know since lex (my dad) was in the hospital for a week or so and he doesn't get paid unless he is there so funds might be tight...hope this helps.
    Inside was an $1800 check.

My parents said that they have been talking about it all day and since we weren't really hurting and were all caught up that they would like to take care of my transmission. Hmmmm interesting...and my mom said that she doesn't want me to worry about the funds...she said I trust you in that I know you'll research what will be best for your truck...when you decide just let us know.

Sooooo now it looks like I will get a new tranny and not even have to worry about it...that will be so nice.

Any suggestions? I've talked to mad dog transmissions and he gave me a quote for his stage one "gangsta" 700r4 with a new torque converter and shipping...he seems to be a great guy to work with. I know there is TCI, BTO, etc....so what would you guys suggest?

11. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

12. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

How about $50 SM465?

I'm willing to bet it'd outlast a fancy TCI 700R4.

13. Avery4jc

haha well maybe so but I don't want a stick...and it'd be more than $50 :)

My dad has a 465 and he loves it but I just don't want to mess with converting over and messin' with a stick all together.

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Bow tie overdirves is my only choice for a 700r4... i think stage 3? dont remember but give em a call and get the hook up... the trannys are like 1700 but so worth it...

15. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Remember to keep an external transmission cooler in your budget if you don't already have one... and to make sure all the lines get flushed before putting your new tranny in. Are you going to put it in yourself, or have a shop do it? I did mine, there really isn't much to it.

16. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have heard and experienced nothing but good things with BTO. may be a little over budget but that i feel is the way to go. you know you truck pretty well now and its a really easy job. just give it a good weekend and read and read btos faq page.

17. stout87k5

stout87k5 Registered Member

i know your probably looking to get a nice built tranny but check out a gm remanufactured tranny. i had the exact problem you did,i went to the dealer and picked up a brand new 700r4 for about $1200.it came with a tourqe converter,and a warranty.warranty saved my life because a month after i installed my new tranny my cooler line split, and drained all the fluid!:doah: i drove my truck into the dealer and they installed another brand new tranny and it didnt cost me a dime.my warranty also started fresh because it was an all new tranny.the remans. are as good as brand spanking and since its your dd that kick a$$ warranty is good idea.:pimp: :waytogo:

18. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

whatever 700 u get ask em about the Corvette shifter servo, supposed to be one of the best upgrades you can throw at a 700

19. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

If you decide to have a tranny shipped in from Florida (Mad Dog) hit me up first. I got two shops better than them local that can put something together for you. Between the two of them, they built 90% of the local drag racing scene transmissions and for reference, if you don't run 9's in the 1/4 around here, you won't impress anyone. Unless you got a 11 second full size pickup, which we got plenty of around here too.

20. Avery4jc

yeah I thought about that but aren't they just bone stock 2nd gen 700r's? Also I bet I'd have a heck of a time getting warranty stuff done with a truck this big...iono I could be wrong but I can just imagine there being problems.

I just sent BTO an e-mail and told them what maddogtransmissions.com is putting together to see if they can put together a similar package and get their opinion.

Oh and yeah I'll be having a shop install it. I'll probably pay for that...let my parents pay for the parts and I'll pay for a shop to install it, hook everything up and do the tv cable.