Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 & Carburetor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by det45, Aug 3, 2000.

1. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me if a 700R4 with the stock torque converter work with a carburated engine? I have an 89 K5 and I am thinking about putting a stroker 383 cid with a carb and deleting the TBI. Please can anyone give me advice on this. Thanks......Det45

2. Yes it will, they started making 700R4's in 82 I think ad that was before they had put TBI on the Chevy trucks, Blazers, and Burbs!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Thanks big burb, what do I do with the wire harness going to the trans and will the trans shift properly without the computer. Also will I have to install a different kick down assembly etc. Please help because I am holding off from buying the 383 stroker until I know if the 700R4 will work with the carburetor and without the computer. I know that a lot of people don't like the 700R4 but I really would like to keep the overdrive but I just need to know if this is going to work with a carb engine. Thank You.

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

call Painless Wiring. they seem to have harnesses for everything you can imagine, and im sure they would answer some questions.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

5. Hey det45,goto (www.summitracing.com),goto the transmision section.They have several differant kits.Jet makes the best one.They also sell universal throttle brackets for the TV cable and throttle cable.
    I would'nt take off the TBI for a carb though,you can run a nice cam with an agustable map censor.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hey Det45

You can run that tranny without the harness as long as you dont put it into 4th gear/Overdrive. If you run the tranny without the harness and you do put it in 4th gear, you will burn out the overdrive.
    A friend of mine bought the B&M harness kit from Summit racing and he didn't like it.

But that tranny will run fine with a carb and the stock converter, ecept you may want to get a converter that is matched to your 383!

HTH.

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. Whats up emmett!!!!
    Hey the b&m harness uses this crazy setup that plugs into your speedo cable and mounts under the dash;it stinks!!
    The jet kit works off a vacum switch for the lock up.It basicly is a copy of how the factory carb/700 combo is.This looks identacle to my set up.It works just fine.
    Good luck.

8. TC Lock-up kit

Talk to Steve Holmes if you want the "straight forward" "on the money" answers, he has been building GM overdrive trannies for a long while now and I would call him the expert on that subject. His business is called Bowtie Overdives and you can find more info at http://www.700R4.comHe sells a kit that is easy to install that utilizes a switch to lock-up the torque converter manually, and they would also have the correct set-up for the T.V. cable also. If you ar serious about doing this, then talk to him. The 700R4 shifts through the T.V. cable and not electrically from what I have been told. My $.02+ !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

9. Re: TC Lock-up kit

The same TV cable will work,all you need is the bracket to mount it to the intake.The only thing oyu realy need to know
    is what type of carb/intake your using.You have to be able to adgust it perfectly,the transmision works off Trottle Valve presure to shift.This is why its critical to get it right,or the trany wont last or shift rite.I've heard go things about those guys,my friend runs one of there tranies in his "mustang" 9.90 in the quarter mile on a 200r4!!!

10. River

River 1/2 ton status

Re: TC Lock-up kit

The only thing thats electrical on the TH700R4 is the lock up control in first, second en third gear in overdrive the lock up is hydrolic controled. So put a switch on your dashboard and you can manual control the lock up. It`s perfect for towing in third gear.

Greetings from Amsterdam,

River `89 K5, 350, TH700R4, NP241, "33, 2.73, 10 bolt F, 12 Bolt R

11. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Re: TC Lock-up kit

Thanks you all for the advice, It helps me a lot.........Det45

12. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

76GMCJimmyinAZ Registered Member

I know this post is a couple days old, but I have to agree with BigBurb. I called bowtieoverdrives (bowtieoverdrives.com) a couple weeks ago with questions about replacing my TH350 with one. These guys know their crap when it comes to 700R4s. That and the 200R4 (right model #?) are the ONLY things they do, almost entirely custom applications- street rods and the like. Not like your local tranny shop that rebuilds anything (or tries to) that rolls in the door.

GUZZLES GAS BUT IT'S FREE AND CLEAR!!!

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

the 700R4 that ran behind the TBI engines is different than the 700R4 that ran behind carb/non-ECM engines. Like these guys said, the TV cable will have to be set up correctly. The valve body in your transmission does not include a lock up valve. Instead, it has a plug in that location. It is set up for the ECM to control lockup directly. You could always buy just that valve and install it in your valve body along with the harness that goes inside the tranny. These modifications can be done without taking the transmission out of the truck, if that is an advantage. Then you just need the vacuum switch that was used on Carb trucks to control lockup in gears lower than 4th.

85 pretending to be a 90
    350 swapped in for stock 305
    5" of suspension lift 33/12.5/16.5

14. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

If it is a 700R4 it has NO interface with the brain box.
    The newer overdrive has a elec brain but it ain't a 700R4.

The TV cable adjustment is critical both the amount of pull and the rate of pull (determined by the angle between the TV cable and the lever arm to the carberator pivot).
    You can have adequate strok without agressive enough early pull and burn up a tranny. That early agressive pull is what brings up pressure in clutches in tranny.

The 700R4 wiring is real simple.
    A little solenoid inside controlls TC lockup.
    Basic set up is an internal switch which only locks up in OD and a external switch which will not supply 12 volts to internal switch whenever brake pedal is pushed. This unlocks TC whenevber brake is applied (works oposite the normal brake light switch).
    Then some also use (I don't and steve at bow tie overdrive does not recomend one) and aditional vacuum switch that disenguages the TC (stops current supplied to internal switch) whenever the manifold has low vacuum (high load).
    For a disel they use a throttle position switch that unlocks converter whenever the under high throttle position (cause diesel has no vacuum to measure).

Nice to add another wire that bypasses internal switch so you can enguage lockup in lower gear. Then wtowing in third you can still lock converter in 3rd direct gear to prevent TC heat buildup.
    Still wire through the brake switch so auto unlock when brakes appliked.

Really all you need is the GM brake switch that opens when pedal pushed and the 4 prong plug for the tranny end.
    Anyone who pays painl;ess wiring 100 dollars for 12 dollars in parts is a very big fool IMHO.