Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 clutch spring compressor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Jun 17, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I'll be overhauling my 700 in about a month so I bought the Haynes AT overhaul manual and started reading through it and made a list of specialty tools that I'll need to do it right. I've been able to find most of them on ebay for very reasonable prices but can't seem to find a "low-reverse clutch spring compressor". They have 2 listed in the manual made by Kent Moore and Hayden, none of which I can find on ebay or anywhere. I don't mind buying a new one from KM but it doesn't look anything like the one listed in the manual. As for the Hayden compressor, I can't find any place that sells Hayden tools. So does anyone know of a website or phone# where I can pick up Hayden tools? Also, here's a list of the tools that I've picked up so far:

-oil pump alignment band
    -oil pump remover (J-24773-A) and end play tool
    -overrun and forward clutch inner seal protectors (J-29882 and J-29883)
    -bushing service set
    -6-ton shop press

Is there anything else besides the clutch spring compressor that I will need to do the overhaul? And any tips on rebuilding a 700R4 are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Besides the low/reverse clutch tool, I don't think there is anything you can't do on an auto tranny without basic tools, a shop press, and an indicator to check endplay.

Bushing installer is nice, not necessary, but other than that, it's a pretty basic tear down/reassemble.

If you can get a rebuild video, they are nice to watch. The ATSG manuals I used before can only show so much in the pictures. Factory Service Manual also details the transmission rebuilds.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This was posted a few weeks ago Good article everbody I know that has succesfully rebuilt then "used" a 700R4 used some Corvette stuff in it.

700R4 Article

-Brian

4. BayouBlazer88

Forgot about the dial indicator. Is that something I can pick up an auto store or even Sears? Are they pretty cheap?

5. dyeager535

Pretty sure you can get them anywhere. Harbor freight probably sells cheap chinese ones, thats what I've been using. More expensive should be better made, this one the adjusting "knobs" were hollow plastic and break easily.

Magnetic base is nice, but won't help on the tranny case /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The mag. base is invaluable when checking stuff on an engine though.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I used a steering column lock plate removal tool and a threaded rod to take it out in my thm350. Don't know if it is the same but I am sure you could figure some way to get it out once you get in there.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I rebuils a few th350's and never used any of those tools.
    It was a pain in the ass to compress the springs but I used an extra pair of hands from my brother. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Now I ma making my own tools to do this easier.
    Just need to make a couple of clamps and an all thread with 2 nuts.

Oh and the dial indicator from Harbor Freight isn't that bad especially at $10.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    I used a steering column lock plate removal tool and a threaded rod to take it out in my thm350

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent idea. Didn't have that tool when I rebuilt the trannies, but knowing what it looks like, it would work good /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got my Dial indicator of Ebay eith the magnetic stand for $25

-Brian

10. BayouBlazer88

Jost got a 700R4 overhaul video in today from Eastwood Company. Much easier to understand than any manual. I think it will prove to be a well-spent $30. And I'll start checking Ebay for a dial indicator.

11. dyeager535

I have a video on the 200-4R, and they showed a "trick" to re-assembly that I wouldn't have figured out if the video hadn't shown it.

Anything like that in the 700 video that you can say "wow, that makes more sense than what the manual says to do", or will you have to wait until you dig into the transmission? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One other thing to add to the list of things you need: parts washer! Nothing better than dealing with perfectly clean (or as clean as they can get) parts. I hate dealing with the trannies when all the parts are slippery as heck.

12. BayouBlazer88

Yeah the video had many tricks and hints that weren't shown in the manual, especially making special tools out of simple shop tools. But I'll have to wait til I tear it apart to see just how well they work. One thing I noticed about the video is that they used a lot less special tools than the manual did, like the inner seal protectors, used in the manual but not in the video.

And as for the parts washer, now we're getting expensive. I'll just use several cans of cheap Oreilly carb cleaner to clean off the parts. A parts washer would be nice though, just not in my budget, nor do I have the space for one in my dad's already cramped workshop.

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah the video had many tricks and hints that weren't shown in the manual, especially making special tools out of simple shop tools. But I'll have to wait til I tear it apart to see just how well they work. One thing I noticed about the video is that they used a lot less special tools than the manual did, like the inner seal protectors, used in the manual but not in the video.

And as for the parts washer, now we're getting expensive. I'll just use several cans of cheap Oreilly carb cleaner to clean off the parts. A parts washer would be nice though, just not in my budget, nor do I have the space for one in my dad's already cramped workshop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought my 20gallon parts washer from Harbor freight for $60
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Best tool I ever bought.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I remember that I made a tool for this out of some angle steel and a bolt, I think. It slid into some slots on both sides of the case. The hardest thing to get out is the spring in the very bottom, but unless it is messed up, you should be able to get it clean without removing it.

I used about 10 cans of brake cleaner to clean all of the parts as I went. Cleans off everything and leaves no residue. I also used a can of engine degreaser to clean the outside of the case.

Here's a tip. Take notes of everything as you take it apart. If possible, lay everything out in order of disassembly so that you are sure not to skip over anything in reassembly. (This takes a lot of free space. I used a set of shelves and a couple old tables, all lined with lots of newspaper. Then I could also write on the newspaper the step # in the manual where I took the part out.) You can't be too anal retentive unless you've already done a lot of them. There are like 400 parts inside. There were various changes in the TH700 over the years and the manual doesn't cover all of the details for each year. Taking good notes of how it came apart makes sure you don't miss something just because it's not in the manual.

15. BayouBlazer88

What year 700 did you rebuild? and where did you buy your overhaul kit from? I know Oreilly sells a master kit for a little over $100, but I'll probably go with more of a performance kit like the one from TCI. I'll probably even put in one of their high torque truck towing converters as well. and yeah I have lots of empty shelves ready for organizing all the tranny parts.