Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 conversions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigMac, Jul 24, 2002.

1. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

The tranny in my 72 is a bit tired. I have been tinkering with a new tranny idea.Anybody ever swap out a 700r4 for thier t 350? I am pondering a 465 or a 700r4.
    I hear great thing about the 4 speed.. but I keep hearing about busted 700r4's.. I found a couple guys building beefed up 700's but have trouble believeing the adds...

So lets hear it, what do you think of your 700r4 good or bad..

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Try these guys:

www.rosslertrans.com 1-330-530-5000

THey do alot of stuff for big name guys!(Lingenfelter, fastest strret ar in America, etc) I have had two of their 700r4's with no problems.. My newest one is behind a very strong 383! We have had about 4-5 700's with only one problem and they have all been used for towing....(the one problem was due to a pump failure)

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I put a 700R4 in my 72 Blazer and am very pleased with how it turned out. Feel free to PM me if interested

Chris

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i've got a 700 and i love it. just make sure you get the electronics for the lock-up torque convertor.

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I love my 700 W/lock-up conversion. As was already said if you want pitculars on the swap let me know. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

SO was this a difficult conversion?

Did you have to relocate crossmembers?

What should I expect to change?

I'm hoping to upgrade my tranny next year... after axles, breaks, and a new gas tank...this year oh yeh and a shackle flip..
    I'm tryin to do my homework on this one. The last time I swapped in something, a big block conversion in a 68 charger, I wasn't prepared for all the costs... I convinced myself it would drop right in /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Thanks for your help in advance...

7. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

My conversion was an easy one - the transmission I git already had the Advance Adaptors shaft so I could bolt up my 205. The same crossmember as the 350 since it used the 350 to 205 adaptor. The mechanical shift linkage on the 72 works perfectly with the 700 and wiring for TC lockup was straightforward. The crossmember has to be relocated since the transmission case lengths differ by 1 3/4" or so, but it was as simple as drilling new holes in the frame. I put in 2 new driveshafts at the same time because of my lift - you'll probably need a new front shaft, but if you have a mild lift the rear shaft might be OK since the 700 is longer than the 350.

8. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Cool. Thats incouraging information....

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Some other things you may want to consider. I put in a cable shifter on the floor of the truck, so I could hold the truck in 1st gear. There were some switches I used as well for the lock-up feature (like a brake switch, vac. switch. ect.) The dipstick and tube (I used a van style)
    If you want to use your stock t-case shifter you will need to bend it and/or cut your floor. As far as the swap goes I had no major hiccups. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I had been thinking about the floor shifter for my truck anyway.... I can already flex enough to interfeer (SP?) with my linkage. It will pop out of gear If I flex it hard and hit a bump... Made me think cables were the way to go.

Thanks, Im going to find a chiltons or something to find out how the 700 works...
    Thats more than I ever did for my 350..

11. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

The stock auto column allows you to shift down into first gear .. it jus goes past the (1) indicator .. so now (1) is 2nd, (2) is drive (3rd) and (D) is overdrive