Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Converter Lock-up questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Im finally gaining momentium on the S-TON buildup and I need to know about the 700R4 Lock Up wiring sold from TCI or Painless. Do any of you use these and what are your thoughts? Any information about 700R4 is greatly appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Doesn't Chris use that setup ?
    He seems to like it alot, uses tht toggle to lock or unlock on grades on the highway.
    Blake

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I simply just bought a toggle and a 5 way relay to activate the lock up. It just needs to tap into the brake lights to cut the connection so it will release when you put your foot on the brake. A wire to the toggle and your + & -. That way you can lock the converter in any gear. It isn't the best setup but it is a cheap way of doing it and works.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd just use the factory one myself. Any of the non-TBI 700R4 trucks (not sure about CCC though) will have the wiring.

It's a stand alone harness IIRC, and it works great.

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd just use the factory one myself. Any of the non-TBI 700R4 trucks (not sure about CCC though) will have the wiring.

It's a stand alone harness IIRC, and it works great.

[/ QUOTE ]Your talking about the vaccuum thingy? The CCC trucks have the same setup as the TBI trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, vacuum and brake switch.

My '83 was setup this way, and it worked great. Very consistent lock MPH, based on throttle position.

Don't see what the problem is with the ECM controlling lockup, one less set of components to worry about.

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't see what the problem is with the ECM controlling lockup, one less set of components to worry about.

[/ QUOTE ] There isn't a problem with it, it's just that it doesn't work when the computer is unplugged and the CCC components are in the garbage. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I like the factory setup, as well. Easy to find, too, since you can grab all of the parts from a junked vehicle without disturbing too much else. A toggle switch leaves room for error since you could leave it locked when coming to a stop. Then as you let off the brake in 1st gear you could have big problems. Besides, who wants to worry about flippin a flippin' switch all the time?

My next favorite setup would be with a 4th gear pressure switch and connection to the brake switch. This is much cheaper than buying the speed controller. You don't really need lockup in 3rd anyway unless you have really tall gears and you cruise the highway in 3rd.

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I think I might just go with the Painless setup. It seems to have the whole package wrapped up and includes a manual override.

Another topic - TCI has a full manual reverse valve body with Engine Breaking - Who has one and give me more info!

10. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I have the 4th gear pressure switch and a toggle - no provision for the brake light; I'm always out of 4th before I slow down and it hasn't been a problem.

There's a good explanation by arveetek here