Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Difference ?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Dec 9, 2003.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

What, if any, are the differences between a 700R4 from behind a 6.2 and one from behind a 350? Can I swap the gas one in for a blown diesel one? Thanks.

2. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

The transmission is the same but the diesel torque convertor is made to take the torque of the diesel while the torque convertor from the gas truck will work but you run the risk of shelling out the gas torque convertor and ruin your replacement trans. Hope this will help.

James Startz

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

What if I use the diesel TC from the 6.2 and put it on th replacement tranns?

Also, my other concern was having the t0case line up properly. Someone tried to tell me the 6.2 had a different bolt up pattern than the 350's or other gas engines. Any truth to that? Thanks.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Nope, to my knowledge there is no difference. I pulled a 6.2 and dropped a TBI 350 right down in the same place and everything bolted up.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you use the old TC from the blown tranny make sure it doesn't have any pieces or chunks, metal flakes, ECT from the old blown tranny in it. That crap will take out the new tranny in a short time. Its always best to use a new TC.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

There is one MAJOR difference. You'll need to replace the governor in the diesel tranny with one from a gas tranny if you're putting it behind your 350. Diesel tranny governors keep shift points really low. On a gas tranny, under a full-throttle application it shouldn't upshift until you hit about 4500rpm. Diesel probably closer to 3,000rpm...but not sure on that figure.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes just the converter and the governer is different

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'm putting a gas tranny behind the 6.2. Do I still need to swap? Also, do I need to tear it apart to switch it out, or is it an external thing?

9. big83chevy4x4

yes other wise you might blow the 6.2. it is a easy swap, on the left side of the tranny, at the rear there is a small cover. that is the governer. pry the cover off and pull the governer out. that easy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

So, to make this idiot er I mean Mark proof:

1 - pry off both covers
    2 - remove both governors
    3 - switch governors
    4 - replace governors
    5 - replace covers

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. big83chevy4x4

si es mucho correcto

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Could be wrong on this, as I haven't dealt with many 700's, but check the cases for the tag that is either riveted on or glued on the side. (my 4L80E has this, as do all 2004R's I've seen, and TH400's as well)

Anyways, the first of the two large letters is the division (C for Chev, O for Olds, and so on, although not in a logical pattern always) and the second letter is the "strength" rating. A CA would be a weak chev tranny, a CZ would be the beefiest there is.

Again, not sure if this applies to 700's, but something to consider. Typically the differences are torrington bearings vs. plastic bushings, more or less clutches in some cases, and different valve body/governor calibration.

13. big83chevy4x4

on the 700r4, the 4 cyl and small v6 the internals are different than on a 4.3 v8 and diesel trannys. you can bolt up a 2.8 700r4 to a 350 so no problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif