Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 differs from a 4L60 E in what way?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scorpion, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

I'm putting a later model chevy motor in my friends rig. He was thinking about getting the 4L60E that originally came behind the motor (5.3L I think). Anyway, can any of you think of any reasons why it might be better or worse to do this instead of just using a 700R4?

I know you can order a Howell wiring harness and computer for each specific setup (like running a 700R4 or TH350 instead of a 4L60E) but I'm interested to see if there's an issue with keeping the 4L60E and using it in the swap instead... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

If he is running the 5.3 with the stock injection and computer I would get the tranny and wiring harness that goes with it. It would save a good deal of headache's b/c I think the engine and tranny are run off the same computer.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The 4L60E is the electronic (controlled by the computer) version of the 700R4 (mechanically controlled). It would be best to get the tranny also, or he will probably have problems when the computer cant find the transmission.