Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 + doubler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Mar 15, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i searched, but only saw a few replies involving the 700r4 + doubler. is this going to require a bunch of custom work, or can i use like a th350 adaptor or something? i want to keep the 700r4 cuz its my dd, and would like overdrive.

originally i was thinking bout buyin a 241 and then doin sye, but if im going to do that, since im going to need new driveshafts anyways, i think i should jus bite the bullet and go big the first time instead of doing it over twice:doah: (like my suspension, ill be changing that eventually as well.)

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

fourwheeler did it several years ago on a blazer they built.

its doable. need a th350-203 adapter, and a different output shaft from advanced adapters. at least thats what it said in the article.

3. muddybuddy

alright, im pretty new to the whole doubler thing, since the 700r4 is 27spline, im going to need a 27 spline 203 from a th350 correct? to minimize addition costs, what spline 205 am i going to need? thanks

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

should need a short 32 spline input for an ord doubler.

i think nwf makes it for just about any 205.

5. muddybuddy

so a normal 32spline 205 off a th400 would be my best bet? haha i appologize or the dummie questions. i jus want to make sure i know what im getting into before i commit to it

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

dont take my word for it, go to ord's website and check the doubler section. he spells it out quite clearly.

7. muddybuddy

:doah: yea i had a brain fart and completely forgot bout that. thanks. guess thats what i get trying to dream bout truck stuff, while writing a 8 page research paper for english :haha:

anybody else have an info bout putting a doubler behind a 700?

8. muddybuddy

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GM TH700 R4 / 4L60E Automatic Transmission:
    The TH700 has the same bolt pattern on the back of the transmission as the TH350 and uses a 27 spline output shaft. Since the TH700 only came with the NP208 or later alum t-cases, it's shaft stickout is a little over 2" in factory form. One difference to be aware of is that the TH700 uses 4 metric bolts to secure the adapter to the transmission case.
    There are two ways to bolt to the NP203. They are very similar to the TH350 mounting mentioned above.
    1: replace the output shaft in the TH700 with an aftermarket output that sticks out of the case by about 7/8". This makes the output identical to the TH350 and you use a TH350 version NP203 with the 27 spline input and a TH350 to NP203 factory 1" thick adapter plate. This is the shortest method. The output shaft cost is $160 and it is available from ORD.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2: use the factory TH700 output shaft and the factory TH700 to NP208 adapter housing with a TH350 version NP203. You will have to re-drill and tap holes in the NP203 gearbox to be able to bolt it to the original NP208 adapter housing. You may also have to do minor machine work on the input bearing retainer on the NP203[/FONT]

i love it when i can answer my own questions. think i might go ahead and start saving/collecting for a doubler :-)