Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 downshift ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Oct 10, 2000.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

What would cause my 700R4 to harshly downshift into first as Im slowing down for a stop?? Seems a little too much out of the ordinary. (Fluid and filter are good to go)

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

If I run with mine in drive and not overdive it does the same thing, in OD it works perfectly. I wouldnt clasify it as a harsh downshift but it is noticable. It has been that was for as long as I can rember. I just assumed it had to with the extreme gearing I run. But I dont know, SOMEONE HELP US!!!!!!!! HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

3. arnold88

arnold88 Registered Member

I had the same problem for a while on my 700R4. I had a bad u-joint, how are yours? Also, when I changed my fluid to synthetic I noticed it seemed to downshift with a little less shudder. You might try that.

[​IMG]

newbie [​IMG]

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

The u-joints are new and the fluid is new (regular ol' dextron 3) and I haven't noticed the overdrive thing. I mostly leave it in 3rd due to city driving and no cooler. I have noticed that really does it most while in stop and go traffic.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Mine seems to do that too... I just chalked it up to the quirks of the 700R4.

I had the tranny powerflushed a little while back, and the shift quality improved a bit.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Mine does this too on my 87.

7. Mine does this also,sometimes worse than others.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, So I have concluded that this thing is a POS, TH350 here I come.

9. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

So because of that your going to give up the low first gear great for crawling and the overdrive great for highway?? My 77 used to eat TH350's. Reliable for a car but my truck used to eat so many I would never reccommend a TH350 for a truck even though I know a bunch of you guys run them hard with no problems. My personal experience sucks with them but I can't see replacing a transmission that downshifts harder than normal but has a low first gear and a overdrive just to put in a TH350. Yes my 700 has been rebuilt at 100k but it has about another 82k on top of that in a truck with 35's and lockers front and rear. It had upgrades done when it was rebuilt and yes mine downshifts hard sometimes but it has always done it. If you can live with it then I think its fine and not on its way out. Probably a characteristic of it. Everything has its quirks

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

My experience is the same as DBlazer. In D, there is nothing noticeable about the 2-1 downshift when coming to a stop. In 3, it gives a good clunk. It has something to do with the valving of the 700R-4. I always understood it to be a symptom limited to '84 and '85, but from reading this, I guess that I was wrong. A good rebuilt 700 is as strong as a stock 350, but you get better gearing.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

11. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I run a 700r4 in my K5, love the low gear and the OD. My brother runs a th350 in his K5 and he has to give it a little more gas to get up the hills and alot more gas to stay up with me on the highway, and we both run same tire size and gears. He goes thru 2 trannys to my 1. My truck also goes thru a little bit more abuse then his. I've heard alot of bad hype on the 700r4 and I'm not sure what it is all about, but I'll stick to my 700r4 and when it goes out I'll replace it with a 700r4.
    just my 2 cents.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]