Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 dumping fluid

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84k5, Jan 20, 2005.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Drove the truck home (500 miles) where it sat parked for 2 weeks. Tranny dripped before, but very slightly. Lost 2+ quarts in this 2 weeks. Filled it up...it shifted fine so I drove it back up here, another 500 miles...fine all the way. It has been sitting the last 5 days, and by the looks of it there is about another quart on the ground. It has 117 on the clock, is it going out? Should I have it looked at, or just keep filling it up? TIA

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Just keep filling it up, davis needs a few more fluid spewing trucks!!:D

I would get it looked at, tranny fluid coming out anywhere near hot exaust scares me, very low flash point.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i would crawl under and find where its coming from. front seal, pan gasket, dipstick seal, TV seal, governer cover, vent.
    if its the front seal, most likely the bushing is gone also which requires the pump to be removed to replace. it wouldn't be the vent unless its overfull. the rest of the seals are easily replaced with the tranny inplace.

id also check to make sure that the vent isn't plugged, with a plugged vent and a locking dipstick, it can blow fluid out one of the seals, usually the front seal first though.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep need to find cause of leak and fix it before it does kill it

pan gasket,
    speedo adapter,
    fill tube grommet
    front seal
    output seal
    cooling line
    thats pretty much it

most likely in this order:
    front or rear seal
    fill tube
    cooling line
    pan gasket
    speedo adapter

get flashlight and with truck running, look around wiping with a rag,

front seal leak will make fluid come out of flywheel dust cover bottom hole

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Don't worry, it leaves its mark in every parking lot.:D

I'll check it out more closely this weekend. If it is something that requires the trans to be dropped...what about those additives that claim to stop leaks? I'm sure they suck, I just don't have a way to drop it. Thanks guys.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

on mine the input to the xfer case seal went out, so the tranny was dumpin alot of fluid into the case, and it blew out the out put seal, i dropped the case and replaces those 2 seals plus the adatper seal, no more leaks, if you need a place to do it im off on fridays, we could take it to base and use the lifts, with 2 people it wouldent take very long,k it took me 4 hours bymyself

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

What he said. I had to do a tranny swap right when i got my truck... had a bad tranny in it but came with another 700 when we bought it. It leaked fluid for about 6 months because the case to tranny seal was bad. You may just have to pull your case off replace the seal and rtv it up. You can do it yourself if the tcase is empty... just don't drop it on your head. that **** hurts. had to do that myself about a month ago.

I can tell you right now its not the dipstick. I have no seal on mine.... its a quart over filled and it doesn't leak. The pump keeps it from over flowing out the dipstick and when you shut it off the fluid stays in the valve body, pan, and torque converter.