Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4: First and reverse

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Doug M, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

are all I have. Transmission will not upshift. It's the stock 85 tranny that has 35k miles on local professional rebuild. I have routinely changed fluid and filter. Fluid is red and does not smell burnt. The TV cable is adjusted properly. There is no hesitation going into drive or reverse from park or neutral.

Someone please tell me it's something simple such as the servo.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Was there a warranty? Let them tell you what is wrong, and have them fix it free....

3. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

sounds as if you broke the govenor gear. there is a bubble looking housing on the side of the transmission that holds the governor. just pull the housing off and pull the govenor out and if theres a gear on the end of it then thats not the problem but thats what it sounds like. Good luck!!

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I agree with the govenor gear, easy to check.

5. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

Thanks for the replies! The governor gear has broken and fallen down to where I can see the top of it. 2 questions - why has this happened and will I be able to retrieve the broken gear by removing the oil pan?

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the only way to remove the broken gear is to remove the tcase and adapter and grab it. i don't think the gear will hurt anything if it is left in there, there is no where for it to go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

Thanks again. Ya'll could have saved me a tranny rebuild charge - depending on how honest the tranny shop is! Now I can fix it myself for the cost of the gear. Hopefully I can return the favor by providing useful info some day.