Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4/ford203/chevy205?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by ryanNC, Oct 13, 2001.

1. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

steven, would this setup put the shifters on top like yours if you clocked the cases right? i want them to be flat like yours. it's going in a 1gen but i've moved the rear axle back 2in and the front 1 1/4 in forward. the only thing is mating the 700r4 to the ford 203? would that push everything back to far. I've got d60/c14 combo. any comments would be apprich.

"need more <font color=green>cash</font color=green>"

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

that combo would work out just like you say, the 203 shifter on top, driveshaft on the right side. Bolting it up isn't trivial, it'll take a custom adapter that's not terribly difficult to build, or possiby a combo of factory adapters which will be a bit longer overall.
    One problem to be aware of is that the GM 205's front output shaft is a good ways farther up from the bottom of the case than that of a ford 205. That was part of our decision to go to a left hand axle in front. You would have to rotate the GM case up about an inch more than a ford to get the bottom to be flat and this could cause driveshaft problems. it was also important to have the high pinion axle for the flatter driveshaft angle.
    Keeping in mind that my front suspension droops about 9 inches, we had to have about 34-36 degrees of angularity in the front CV joint to be able to rotate at full droop.
    What I'm getting at is that we can build the t-cases how you want, but you may not be able to get a front driveshaft to work with the low pinion D60. Do some careful measuring to see if this will work out for you.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Any idea if the Dodge 205 case has the same issues as the GM one? If not, is it feasable?

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

thank you for your help, i quess this setup is 200% better than my stock sm465/dana20 setup for sure. it would still be economical to have it an inch below flat to keep decent driveshaft angles. the clearence/strenth gains would be worth it. what would be the shortest/strongest way to adapt the 700r4 to the ford 203?

5. Stephen

Pete, I think the dodge case is absolutely identical to the GM except for the input and front output shaft. Physical dimesions seem to be identical.

A TH700 to ford 203 could be done a couple of ways, one is a custom adapter housing using the advance adapters output shaft in the TH700. Another would be to use the same shaft and re-drill the face of the ford 203 to use the GM 203 adapter plate, then you have an instant easy 90 degree rotation. that would be pretty minimal hassle. Another way would be to use the factory 4wd TH700 shaft and adapter and drill the face of the ford 203 to the GM round pattern.
    all of these methods require the use of a 27 spline input in the ford 203. it's a direct bolt it in every way, so it's not a difficult mod.

SW-ORD

6. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

is 700r4 27 spline same as ford

thanks for all the info but i've got another ?? i was reading in my advanced adapters catolog and they metioned that some of the 700r4's had a 27 spline that mated to the 208 witch wouldn't be that hard to come by. i was wondering if the 27 spline would match the ford. i know it's a shot in the dark but i just figured i might ask to make things easier. thanks for taking time out of your busy day to answer the ?'s of the youngin's.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by ryanNC on 10/26/01 12:07 PM.</FONT></P>

7. Stephen

Re: is 700r4 27 spline same as ford

As far as I know all the TH700's have a 27 spl. output, but the ford has a 31 spline input so the best thing is to swap the 203 to a 27 spline input and it's ready to match up. There is some variation in length of the output shaft on the TH700, the shortest shaft is an Advance part we carry for mating the TH700 to TH350 version 203's and 205's.

SW-ORD

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Many of the (newer) Dodge 205's lack the side mounting boss that lets you mount to the frame rail. Every GM 205 I've come across has the boss (some tapped, others not), but the 93 Dodge 205 (diesel) did not have it at all.

Trivial - I'm sure, but it would suck if your mounting plan required this boss!!!