Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Full size vs S-10

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SummitXMK, Nov 6, 2002.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I purchases a 700R4 a while back and just got to putting it in. It didn't fit. So I was wondering if the tranny I got and the tranny I need are different. Well Yes they are because this one doesn't fit. I guess my real question is. Can I make the fullsize 700R4 fit to a S-10 700R4 or do I have to get another tranny. Or is it too much trouble. Are there any other differences besides the bell housing? Would a salvage yard trade me a working fullsize and a burned up S-10 for a working S-10? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

gslim

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

It depends on the engine in the s-10. If you have a 4.3L V6, yes the truck tranny will work fine. It will not bolt to a 2.8L V6. the truck tranny will most likely shift a little harder, thats all.

However, an s-10 700R-4 will bolt up to a 350 block, but cannot handle the added torque of the 350.

Hope this helps.
    John

3. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Alright so I have a transmission that won't fit and I found a used one that will fit that say's it has an auxillary valve body. Is this bad or does it not matter? Thanks for your help.

4. Great78burb

Great78burb Registered Member

I don't think it matters. I think it was added in the later years as an improvement. My '88 has one. Also, you can fit a fullsize truck 700 into an s-10 by trimming the "ears" on the lower part of the bellhousing. I was also told that if you change the governor and keep your original, your shift points will remain close to the same. The guy at the tranny shop told me that the s-10's had what he called a "K" case which is stronger than other cases because of extra metal and ribbing somewhere. I have seen the "K" on my case, but not the ribbing. He also said I should have mine rebuilt because they are getting harder to find. Anyone else know anything about this? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    He also said I should have mine rebuilt because they are getting harder to find.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like a sales pitch to me. Try walking into another tranny shop "looking" for a K case and see what they say /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The V8 700R4 has more clutch packs than the 4.3L version. You can add them with the right parts (donated from a V8 version) during the rebuild to make it stronger.

And the 2.8L version will not interchange with the 4.3 or V8. The V8 tranny will fit in your S10 but the ears get in the way of exhaust routing. When I had a V8 stuffed in my 85 GMC S-Jimmy I had to cut the ear off of only one side to get the exhaust to work.

6. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Well at least I should be able to sell the tranny for what I paid for it. Just for your info I only found 1 S-10 2.8 tranny used in all of Boise.
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    summitXMK

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Sounds like it is time to upgrade your engine instead of the tranny /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif The V8 Swap is not too hard to do but would run close to $2000 to start it out (at least that is what I put in at the start of mine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

j/k