Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 gave out, any ideas what's wrong?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geargrinder, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

This is in my '86 1/2T Burb.
    I was going down the road in trafic, about 25MPH, and it just felt like the truck just shifted into nutrall. I have NO power to the wheels @ all in any gear, but park still holds the truck in place. I know NOTHING about auto tranies, but my buddy said that he thinks it's the pump.
    Any one have any ideas? I don't need this tranie enough to pay a shop to fix it (I'm thinking the truck is parts now :o ) but if all it is is somthing I (with the help of my buddy) could do my self............. I just might fix it and drive it agan.

PS: this tranie was shifting soft (REAL SOFT) before this hapend.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Park will always work , its mechanical not hydraulic . I ain't no expert , but every post I remember nearly always points to bad 700r4 . Not the answer you want , but its 19 years old if original . Maybe search for a used one so you can drive while yours get rebuilt .

( I got to go knock on wood now , since mine has been trouble free for too long )

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Some of your clutches can be prematurly worn too if your pump was slowly on its way out.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

let me help ya. problem found = ( 700r tranny ) = junk. dont like them and wont play with them. sorry. if more than about 90k miles on it time for over hall. most likly the pump went. check fluid level first and note where it is. then fire it up and recheck it. if same level then no pump to move fluid.

....................................... UPDATED ...........................................................

sorry to pee in every ones soup:mad1: but i have had bad luck with them. if you had good luck then good for you:laugh: . this is my opinon and thats all:deal: , do what you want and leave it at that:ignore: . sorry but this just feels like a fight coming on:ignore: . now lets all play nice now:o .

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well I hope mine goes another 145,000 miles then :D

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, i guess i was lucky then to get 215k out of mine huh????

I believe it's how you maintain and treat them.

So what, it's a 700r4, any other auto trans would have been near it's end time or past by now as well,,,

everybody's always trashin' on the 700,,,,whatever :rolleyes:

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yeah, what a hunk of crap. it ONLY went 196,000 miles without a rebuild... :rolleyes:

Make sure it even has fluid in it....you'd be surprised how that could actually be the problem.

8. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

You too huh ? :haha: :D

I had that same thing happen to me years ago with a 88 700r4 in a pickup except I was going about 55 on my way to work.. I pushed it to the side of the road and walked about 2 miles to the job.. It was way out in the country about 5:30 in the morning so not many other people around to help me :frown1: .. Long story short if it is like mine you will need a complete rebuild.. I had mine rebuilt with heavy duty parts and I have put over another 100 thousand miles on it since then.. Good luck..

For what it is worth I had over 100 thousand miles on it before this happened.. The truck was run everyday 7 days a week for work,fishing,hunting,towing and all around playing.. So all in all I'm not going to complain I think no matter what tranny I had it wouldn't of made much difference..

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

first, check your fluid.

second, does reverse work?

if reverse doesn't work, your either really low on fluid (leaky cooler line) or the pump is gone.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

check this first...

We once did a tranny/transfer case swap in a 90's 4wd pickup-- the lady said her truck made a 'thump", then would not move in any gear!--her husband had a parts truck,so he just assumed the 700R4 had croaked,and had us install the tranny/transfer case from that truck into hers(parts truck was a low mileage wreck with no title)....we installed it,got paid for doing it,and all was well with the world... :p:

The the "core" guy who comes around every few weeks looking for rebuildable tranny's and catalitic converters and such showed up a few weeks later--he saw the tranny and transfer case out in the junkpile out back,and said "how come this is here?" --we explained the truck's dilema,and he said "oh--you guys didn't happen to notice that the transfer case is in neutral,huh?",as he spun the output shafts by hand.. :doah: --he bought both of them for 50 bucks--and he later told us another guy bought them from him for 150,and threw them both in his truck,and they worked perfectly!~. :blush:

..we also learned the lady who owned the truck said she hit a speed bump in the supermarket parking lot at 25 mph,( just before the tranny "blew"--but she didn't want to tell her husband!),when we inquired about the dents in the crossmember and gas tank during an oil change a few months later! :whistle: --she spent 450 bucks installing a tranny and transfer case for NOTHING!-- :doah: --dont let this happen to you!--it could very well be your tranny IS junk!-but dont scrap it till your sure!...a maladusted TV cable can cause the same symptoms too,as can a clogged filter, or one that fell off into the pan.. :tongue1: :deal:

11. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Yes, it's full of fluid. I had just done a F&F service on it about 2 weeks before this hapend. And no, reverse will not work, none of the gears work but park. And the transfer case is not the problem either. (I'm taking no ofence at any of the replys mind U, 'cause U never know how dumb the guy posting the Q is ;) ) I know plenty about the drive train, just not to much about the internals of the auto tranie. I will check out the fluid level test and see what gives.
    Like I said, I don't need this truck. But if it will take very little to fix it I just might.