Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 gurus, need LOTS OF HELP FAST!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Feb 11, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Okay I will give you the run down of my situation...

On Saturday, I put in a rebuilt 700r4 tranny that i purchased from a member on this forum...The tranny went in and I ATTEMPTED to adjust the TV cable and I knew it was a little off...It would hold first gear for a REALLY long time but the shifts were decent...so today, I took the truck to a local tranny shop (Best Western Transmission) and they adjusted the TV cable and it shifted great...except that when I floored it, it DIDN'T DOWNSHIFT... So, I took the truck to AAMCO and they took it for a drive and adjust the TV cable...Now it shifts like it is supposed to but IT SLIPS like no other when accelerating from a stop...WHAT GIVES...AAMCO told me it was either an input sprag or the forward clutch pack...GANG, what the hell is up with my tranny? I NEED YOUR HELP <font color=orange>FAST</font color=orange> Thanks for the help...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

2. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I know more of the AOD than I do of the 700, but I'll take a guess. (another thing, don't EVER go to AAMCO). If the tranny held first gear for a long time, I'm assuming you mean it didn't shift until like 35 or 40 mph? When an auto hangs like that, one of the problems can be a maladjusted tv cable. The source of the problem is line pressure governed by the cable. It raises line pressure in the valve body and firms shifts, increasing the rpm's at which the tranny sill shift BUT it comes at a price. Too high line pressure will burn out a band or pack due to the abnormally high line pressure pressing against nothing. Pressure holds the gear. As pressure drops, the tranny will shift. It's a balancing act. With the cable set wrong, line pressure will be initially too high, holding the gear for too long, putting unnecessary pressure on parts that don't need it. Kind of like riding a clutch; maintaining engagement when it's not needed. I could be wrong, but I should at least be in the right direction. You may also have glazed the torque converter clutch. Check the fluid. If it's dark or smells burnt(trust me, there's no doubting the smell), then you're done for. If not, get a quality tranny flush and go from there.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like you were on the right track. So far I haven't had to adjust a TV cable, but you CAN adjust it for a bit more "preload" just by going one click further than it "automatically" adjusts for. It's touchy, but very common practice to "bump it up" a click or two to get better shifts.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. fortcollinsram

ttt

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

5. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i had a similiar prob after my new GM tranny was installed, adn it turned out to be a worn TV cable. it could not hold teh proper adjustment. But i think i would also go for a flush and fluid filter change. A TV cable replasce costs about 15$ and about 30 minutes. may be worth a try
    keep us posted

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

6. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

Raptor -- problem solved

7. fortcollinsram

So will a poorly adjusted TV cable cause the slipping when I accelerate from a stop? Again, AAMCO said it was the input sprag or the forward clutch pack, but this thing has like 25 miles on it since it was rebuilt...I personally think AAMCO is feeding me a line to try to get me to have TEM rebuild the tranny...AGAIN...not gonna happen...any more tranny people on this one??I really need to figure this out and I don't ahve the CASH for a raptor... thanks for any input you all may have...

Chris

8. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Check the condition of the fluid. A bad tv cable will not cause slipping directly, but the possible internal damage caused by a maladjusted tv cable can burn up clutch packs which, in turn, cause the slipping. If the fluid is dark brown, has a dark brown tint, or smell burnt(no mistaking that smell!!), then it's time for another rebuild. Sorry.

9. fortcollinsram

Is it even possible for the clutch packs to be shot after like only 25 miles on the rebuilt tranny...and this was LIGHT drving around town...?

Chris

10. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately, yes. Look in any tranny or repair manual. It will plainly state that after changing the fluid, if the tranny does not immediately work properly the first time it is used afterwards, poaaible damage has occured. Sorry to have to break it to you. Best bet is to get a reputable shop( NOT aamco) to do a good troubleshooting on the tranny. That's really the only way to know for sure, but I think I'm at least on the right track.

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

#1 issue is getting the TV cable adjusted properly. Then take it from there.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>