Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Guru's need ur help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89K1500Chevy, Jul 17, 2004.

1. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

700R4 Guru\'s need ur help

Having probs with my Built up 700R4 We just finished everything about 2 weeks ago. its a 700R4 short shaft 2wd with Trans Go 700 1-2 shift kit / B&M deep pan / RedLine Race clutchs(used from old 700 in my 4x4)/ New Band / Corvette Stall Lockdown TC / Corvette Servo
    Ok the Prob is when i come off the line and manuel Shift it at 5700-6000 Rpms it wont go into 2nd it just Slips like its in Netural and revs to 6000+ till finally engaging after letting off the gas.
    if i put it in 3rd gear and come off the line it shifts out at 3500-4000 rpms.
    Max hp is 355 at 5250 rpms and 405 tq at 3500rpms
    Is the Trannys Band not cured yet and its allowing the Drum to spin ? or what do you think? I need help b/c i really dont want to pull it out agin but if i have to i will.
    I had a TH350 tranny and pulled it out for this b/c it was too spread out with the 3.08 gears 1st gear to 65mph 2nd to 125 and 3rd was just insane
    there's some pics of the truck at out last ga meet for fuelslut Ga chapter here http://joestradingpost.com/albums/2004_summer_trip/2004_07_10_fs_ga/ [image]http://joestradingpost.com/albums/2004_summer_trip/2004_07_10_fs_ga/[/image]

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: 700R4 Guru\'s need ur help

IIRC a non cured band grabs extremely fast allowing for a very quick and hard shift. hard enough that it feels like the trannys gonna break/fallout/blowup/etc. with a high horse motor. that usually goes away after about 300-500 miles of normal driving.

what band did you use? just a stock band or wide? did you put it in dry? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like you aren't getting enough apply from the servo to me.

I've never rebuilt a 700, but in building my 2004r, I remember that one of the important things to do was change the size of the valves in the pump, to increase line pressure.

I'd assume that affects the servo apply, (along with everything that uses pressure) which might be something to look into. Did you check the drum before reinstallation to make sure it wasn't out of round, or worn excessively? I know on the 2004R that drum is usually beat up pretty bad, and typically ends up getting replaced in a rebuild.

Howevere, have you looked at an ATSG manual to see what the common causes of your condition are? That is one thing they are fairly good for, except that every condition has about 5 potential causes, most of which require a tear down to eliminate, except ones that test line pressure, which might pinpoint your problem.

4. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your help guys, i was already told a corvette servo prob wasnt going to be enough they said to get a Super Servo i think B&M or Transgo makes it. i had doubts about it being the band also b/c when we built up the 700R4 in the 4x4 it was grab and go from the first test drive till later blew the Planetry Gears up so we built a TH350 for it. I wonder if a pump is not working right b/c it had this prob with the First shift kit before we pulled the valve body off to put the trans go shift kit in there. O well looks like more down time on the street beast. Time for the 4x4 DD