Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Gurus ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cwn anwyn, Apr 19, 2006.

1. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK here is my dilema. I am swapping in my spare 700r4 that I pulled from my parts Blazer (84). My torque converters that I had in the garage do not match up to it. 27 splines vs 30 splines. Also, I am not 100% sure that junk didnt get in them. Same goes for the TC that came out of the spare trans. I buy one from the parts store and it ends up being an early 84 27 spline TC(PN GM15) . I get that swapped out for an 84.5 30 spline (GM18A) and now I run into my problem. I get the trans mated to the engine and the torque converter has about 1/4 inch space between the flexplate and the holes for the bolts. The converter is fully engaged on the trans, just not meeting up with the flex plate. What torque converter do I actually need.:mad: I dont really feel like dropping the transmission multiple times to figure it out. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Z

2. JNygard

JNygard Registered Member

That gap is normal, just pull converter out and bolt to flex plate.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Sure is, there is always a little bit of space between the flexplate and torque converter. 1/4 inch sounds just right.

4. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Yup pull 'er forward, bolt it up and git 'er done.:D

Hey wheres my lift?:D :D

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Now, to answer a question that wasn't asked, that small amount of endplay must exist to make sure that the converter doesn't exert a bunch of axial pressure on the crankshaft (because that would put pressure on the the crank thrust bearing and wear the crap out of it). The clearance you're seeing allows for converter expansion due to heat. I think 1/16 is the absolute minimum (but that's playing with trouble), 1/8 is preferred, and 3/16 is the maximum allowable. It sounds like you're in the ballpark.:waytogo:

6. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey thanks for the quick answers. :waytogo: I had thought it a little odd since my old trans(orig) and the junkyard one I swapped in both had the converter almost right up against the flexplate. This one caught me a little off guard.:D

Nemesis, the lift should be boxed up and ready to go this weekend. I got most of it off right now. I'll finish pulling it hopefully tonight or tomorrw evening. I think I might try to skate out of work a little early today so I can finish it up. Thanks,

Z