Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 guys, torque converter lockup control?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 27, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What do you guys do about torque converter lockup when using a 700R4 behind a carb motor? Namely my truggy won't have any computer right off the bat. I might install TPI but initially it will be carb and I would rather have my efi standalone and not working my trans. So what do you guys do about torque converter lock up control? A friend of mine had a switch on his dash from an aftermarket control setup someone had installed when the transmission was rebuilt.

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

there's a conversion wiring harness you can buy from Summit

part # PRF-60109

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=700r4&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp&x=13&y=13

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

easy way to do it
    http://www.highperformancecars.com/crosley/lockup1.htm

easier way is to put a 5/16 check ball under the lockup solenoid. it will lock up in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. the only problem with that is it wears out the plastic housing after a while, but you can get a metal one for about $20, same cost of a new solenoid.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just get one off of an "early" 700R4 truck. Already standalone, pretty darn common, and work good.

I'm not sure that they didn't use that setup until 1991 in "our" body style.

5. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

you can pickup a kit from bowtie overdrives, thats what I used when I rebuilt my 700r4, automatic lockup in 4th gear and it comes with a little switch for manual lockup in 2nd and 3rd gear, cost me about 75 bucks for the kit and includes everything.

Heres a link, I put this in mine and its been working great!

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=336

some fool before me cut out my lockup wiring from the transmission, just snipped the wires off at the TCC and pulled all the wires out! :confused:

No wonder the transmission didn't have 3rd and 4th gear when I bought the truck.

6. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

im not to sure how mine is all set up, but i just flip a switch and it will lock up.. i can do it any gear, but just mainly for the hi-way..

:confused:

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks guys. I'm not even sure the trans I am using needs this stuff(it may well be an older one) but its 300 miles away so I can't just go pop in and check. I want to know what I would need if I have the need...

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I wish I could be more specific, but when I got my 700r4 rebuilt about ten years ago, I seem to recall the tranny guy mentioning they installed a "cheater" lockup that didn't require any wires. FWIW, mine only locks up in 3rd as far as I can tell.

Maybe someone could shed some light on this?

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have talked to a couple of tranny shops and they say that they perform the lock-up mods internally so you dont need to have the add-on stuff. Never was told the specifics.

When my buddy changed from TBI to a carb in my 89 p/u he used a B&M kit that you could adjust to the specific mph for the lock-up.. Not a bad kit with a in cab controller, but it is a little pricey.

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

most of the time its just the 5/16" check ball