Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 help, any tranny techs, info, anything?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4xcrazy, Feb 7, 2004.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well here's the thing, my '89 Burb has a 350/700r4 with 210k on the odometer, just recently it started acting up. What it does, from a dead stop it will shift fine from 1st to 2nd, but when it tries to go from 2nd to 3rd, it tries to hook into 3rd real quick but then just releases and drops back into 1st (nuetral state) meaning it's just coasting until the engine is reved up, but will not come out of 1st until you come to a complete stop. The fluid is dark, but i have seen worse, just changed the filter and whatever fluid i can with a filter change, but no luck.
    Here's the question;
    Is there anything I can do with the trans still in the truck to correct this problem,,like pieces that can be changed while still in the truck that may have gone bad, or does this sound like something more major like internals, clutches, bands something like that, I am mechanically inclined, mainly for anything on a vehicle EXCEPT the trannys, way too much for me. Any info would be greatly appreciated, i would at least be able to drive this to work and home until i can get a new trans for it. Thanks all

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

mine is acting up also. Some have said check the govenor. Its under the cap on the side of the transmission. Sometime apparently they get stuck or strip out. Other than that you can check the TV cable. Looks just like a kickdown cable. Pull on it near the carb with the vehicle shut off and make sure that it is connected at the other end or in other words not broken and or disconnected in the transmission. That is about all you can do. Mine is currently thawing out and if warming it up doesn't help I'm going into the govenor housing and see if that shows any signs of damage.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My tranny did the same thing and it was a broken planetery. You will need to pull the tranny and go for a complete rebuild.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My tranny did the same thing and it was a broken planetery. You will need to pull the tranny and go for a complete rebuild.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if it was broken planetary gears, you'd thing you'd hear abunch of noise or something, one thing i forgot to mention is that it did this about 2 weeks before it finally quit altogether, it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear, but the more i kept driving the better it got, then just one day while coming home, i slowed to make the turn from down the road from the house, and it started and still does... as far as the TV cable, hmmm, to just up and quit? or break with out anything harse going on, or even like i mentioned, it did it for half a day then worked fine for the next 2 weeks, then died. hmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

Don't sound good. You didn't do any tinkering up around the carb or TBI (presuming you have TBI) did you? The TV cable hooks in and has adjustment. Sounds like it tightened up, and that will burn yer tranny up real quick. If yours adjusts like most there is a plastic piece hooked to a bracket on your intake with the cable running through it. Crawl up there with a flat head screw driver and push the square plug on the side of the long plastic sleeve, there should be about a half inch of cable sticking out the front. It's better to run loose than two tight. Whats it do if you take of real easy and as soon as you feel it shift to second, floor it and it should kick back town to first right away.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

sounds like you just burnt up the 3-4 clutch pack. time for a rebuild /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Haven't done any tinkering at with that cable as i knew that it it's not adjusted right, things will break, like this other guy says though, i have a feeling the 3-4 clutches are probably just burnt. It has been slippin slightly going from 2-3, but that was the only area it would do that, nothing major, just figured i'd get it rebuilt before it died, i guess i didn't make it huh?

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mine did the exact same thing as yours, worked then didn't then worked then broke. No noises whatsoever. I would be pretty surprised if you don't have a broken planetery as well.