Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 help needed URGENT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Col_Sanders, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Will be transferring from VA in a couple days and I am in trouble....

I bought a transmission from www.bowtieoverdrives.com after getting some quotes from local shops for a stock rebuild and also after getting some quotes on an install, I decided to do it myself. I bought the level 2 K case and also bought a B&M torque convertor. I got it all done, blew out the lines with compressed air and filled up the tranny. I dont really know what I am doing so I called a local shop after getting referred to them by a friend and asked them to check the TV cable and make sure everything was working properly. The guy drove it and said 1-2 shift is good and 2-3 was slow and weak. Also said the torque convertor isnt locking up. I need to check the wiring on that though.

He says the TV cable would make all shifts off so thats not the problem. I guess I should mention that I am not using the stock TV cable, but a longer one that came with the tranny. He went on to say that it could be a piece of debris causing a valve to stick or it could just be bad and they should build me one because they rule and all other transmissions suck. Whn I ran the pressure test IAW the directions I had just under 90 at idle and it dropped after each gear change (foot on brake). Their site doesnt say what they should be and I am having a hard time finding it online. I am in a bind and need to get this fixed FAST. Unfortunately Bowtie overdrives is closed on weekends and so are most shops around here. What should my next step be?

Thanks guys,
    -James

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You really need to speak to them. If you screw with it they may void your warrenty. Double check your fluid level. Read up on tv cable adjustment ( www.tvmadeez.com ) and re-do it. it's easy to do but critical.
    the wiring is only one plug, so you can't get that wrong. If the fluid was low it'll screw with lock up.

3. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

make sure to check the fluid level in neutral...

4. Col_Sanders

The fluid level was a little low. It was just below the ok level. I am going to wait until Monday and talk to them. That transmission shop sucked. They wanted my money and didnt care about anything else. I will be getting my exhaust fixed Monday and will take it somewhere else (after talking to Bowtie Overdrives).

I thought you are supposed to check fluid level in park.

5. my88texastruck

my88texastruck Registered Member

As far as the torque convertor not locking up, I can speak first hand as the trans will not last long if you drive it that way. Not too long after I bought my truck with a supposedly rebuilt trans, I roasted it from the convertor not locking. Come to find out, 1988 was a transition year for 700R4's. Some grounded the lock-up valve through the trans case itself and some through the ECM. Mine was the ECM type with the case grounded valve in the trans so it never locked up. Might want to check and make sure your trans has the right harness/valve setup for your truck as the plugs are the same.
    Good luck.

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's good advice from My88. You can check your fluid in P or N. Slowly run it through all gears first though just to fill the block. If the fluid is cool/warm it should be between those two dimples at the bottom of the stick. If your fluid is hot (which it rarely is unless you're trying!) it should be in the add/full area.
    Phone Bowtie though as I'm sure they'll want to stand by their products.

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

thats a mean trans, BTO is a good company, my buddy has one rated for like 620horsies or something, nice trans...

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

YEAH! screw what the general says, what does GM know about 700R4s anyways. :screwy:

i'm sitting here with a 700R4 dipstick in my hand...

GM and Ford trannys have a lube circuit in Park, older Chryslers do not, which requires them to be put into neutral to be checked.

9. Col_Sanders

Ok, today I bought a multimeter and found out I had the wiring wrong for the torque convertor. When you buy the trans, they make you order their wiring harness which consists of a relay with 4 wires. One goes to brake switch, one to keyed power source, a ground, and then another that actually goes to the transmission. I had the brake switch wire in the wrong place. I will get my exhaust put on tomorrow and go to the transmission shop and see if I can get everything straight.

My friends dad said its because I am using B&M Trick Shift fluid. May go get my system flushed and put in regular Mercon III.

I need this resolved fast or my poor old K5 will have to be towed back to TX behind my dads Furd. Bad thing is he will have to drive here from TX to do it.

10. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wait and talk to Bowtie they probally know more then your dads friend