Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by oneofthefewbmx, May 14, 2006.

1. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

hey guys...ive searched already and cant find exactly what im lookin for...i just put a 700r4 from a '91 blazer into my 86 pickup...i put the TV cable on and didnt adjust it correcctly becase i was only goin to drive 10 miles to the tranny shop so they could install a TCC lockup switch and adjust the TV cable correctly...but i got the the tranny shop and the guys wasnt there so he said come back monday...so i drive it back home...i went and started it yesterday for somthing and the tranny was makin a funny noise...i went to put it in gear and it goes in put not very firm feeling, here is the kicker...when i go to take off the rpms will go up to like 3000 before i get moving, then i wont get very far and then it stops moving completely (like it is in neutral)...so i pop the hood and see that the TV cable is not connected anymore...but i dont know if it was like that on the way back from the tranny shop or not....my question is what the hell happend...and how do i fix it?? did me possibly driving on a non-connected TV cable for 10 miles fry my transmission or does it just need to be connected corectly and *bahm* everything is fixed?? please help....it ran and drove and shifted fine when the TV cable was just slapped on there...then it fell off and quit workin..so i put it back on and it still doesnt work...is my tranny blown??? please help thanks guys....-mikkie

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Put it back on and adjust it. A easy way is to push the "d" shaped button and let it retract in. Then go and mash the throttle and it will ratchet out.
    This will get it close enough to where it wont fry it.

If it still doesnt work then it kind of sounds like your TC went out.

3. oneofthefewbmx

is it possible that the cable came dissconnected from the inside of the transmission?

4. 85mudblazin

Can you move the cable back and forth?? The cable should have spring to it.

5. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

not to hi-jack but when you say that you mean you pull the cable from teh top and release it and it pops back quickly? cuz mine takes a while to retract back in...

6. 85mudblazin

It should be quick. It needs to move with the throttle linkage so if it goes in slow it would come off the stud when the linkage retracts.

7. oneofthefewbmx

it has some spring to it but it does go kinda slow...

8. 85mudblazin

As long as it moves with the throttle linkage then there isnt a worry since thats what its supposed to do.

Did you try setting the TV cable?

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

10 miles is enough to burn up the tranny. that controls the pressure to everything, if its no hooked its getting minimum pressure and allowing the clutchs to slip. a few minutes of that and there is no clutch material left.

if it came unhooked, check to see if the clip is not broken. also if the TV cable is not snapping back when pulled all the way out, either its unhooked inside the tranny, or you need a new cable.

10. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm surprised no one has said, check your fluid. Make sure the engine is running and tranny is in park.

11. oneofthefewbmx

welllll....i havent set the tv cable, i half assed putting it on there so i could get it to the tranny shop so THEY could set it...you guys think i may have burnt up the tranny?....i also dropped the pan to see if the filter mabey fell off, but it is still attached...soooo....mabey i should just drag it to the tranny shop, eh?

12. 85mudblazin

Adjust the TV cable and see if it fixes it!!

13. big83chevy4x4

x2, just make sure its hooked up inside the tranny.
    its possible that you burnt it up, but try it and see.

14. oneofthefewbmx

i am goin to try that when i get off work tomrrow....if that doesnt fix it, what would be wrong internally w/ the tranny...that is what would be "burnt up", is that the pump, or the clutches or everything inside just curious what actually gets messed up....thanks also...just to reemphasize, if i dont drive it for a while and i hop in and start it a try to go it will drive about 1/4 mile then start slipping and not go anywhere is this still the cable...also i dropped the pan today and there is some small metal roller-bearing type looking pieces...what the hell does that mean....

15. 85mudblazin

:eek1: Sorry thats to funny:haha:

16. oneofthefewbmx

Well that sounded a bit dumb, I know its f-ed up but what do you think burned up? The front pump or something?

17. big83chevy4x4

if you found roller bearing looking things, you killed either sprag (roller clutch). tranny is toast, time to rebuild.

18. oneofthefewbmx

ok..ill pull it out tomrrow and take it to the shop...thanks alot..