Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RATAH, Sep 10, 2002.

1. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Hello
    i seen that your in the automotive repair business
    hope you can help me out,
    i bought a 1985 K5 blazer full size,
    with a 350 cu and a 700 r4 trans 4x4 with a 208 case
    i bought it knowing the trans leaked fluid,
    so i pulled and replaced the front seal well that wasnt it,
    it was the bushing in the pump
    so thaat was replaced and it lasted 1 1/2 days then the bushing came out,
    so now i pull it again for the 3rd time,
    put a new front pump cover on ,bushing seal ect,
    now no leaks, but no 3rd gear, burned up the 3rd and 4 gear clutches and steel, so now pull it for the 4th time,
    my buddy rebuild it, it lasted 3 weeks then burnded up 3rd gear again also a newtourqe conveter , he redoes the valve body, no luck, so i pull it again 5th time now,he replaces the 3rd gear cluthes and steels again,also has the tourqe conveter replaced
    now i drive it down the road and all seems fine
    then i get a wild noise seems to be from the brand new tourqe conveter,then i shut it down restart it same nose, and seems to be going in 3rd gear only
    drive it home now, same noise no reverse,
    so i goto a juck yard and get 1 now 6 times pulling this thing, it seems to shift fine but i have to passing gear , and the damn thing is spitting fluid all over seems to be outa the dipstick,, i also added an external cooler after the trans cooler,,
    after six times im now flat broke and have no idea what to do,
    BTW i have set the detent cable set per the book
    and im also running this trans with no computer,,
    Thankyou for your time and any and all info you can give me,
    Thanks again,Ron

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Are you still using the original oil cooler along with an external cooler, or just running the external cooler alone. I hope you had that original cooler flushed out if you are still using it, I've heard of plugged coolers causing oil to be forced out of the dipstick tube.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm thinkin the same thing, a plugged line somewhere blowing out the pressure at the weakest joint. Maybe try bypassing the radiator tranny cooler and just run through the extrenal for a little bit, just to see if that improves it. I think if you take it somewhere, they can power flush it, which might find a plugged line. I dunno if that's a realistic option, though, being flat broke now...

4. Shralper

Shralper Registered Member

Having recently suffered thru another T-700 blowup. I'd recommend taking to a good shop and having them look at it and fix it. At $2000 for a Jet trans or about $1400 for a rebuild, which is cheaper? I had Aamco do mine this time and bring it up to performance specs. It works fine in my 'Burban w/ 35" BFG's and soon 4.88's! Oh yeah! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had my 700R4 take a sh!t on me too. I went to a big tranny shop that I knew the owner from previous vehicles. Told him what happened. Total bill came to $1700. OUCH!! I had a few leaks and they took care of all of them for free. What I got out of it was a 1991 transmission in a 1983 Blazer. I tell ya, it runs good and with the Diesel it just loves the power!! Take it to a shop. Explain your problem. They may take one look at it and have it fixed in 5 seconds. You never know. Also...keep your tranny away from your buddy.

6. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys il try it tonight and let ya know how it go's
    Thanks again