Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 In 1st Gen Questions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GillBill, Aug 4, 2006.

1. GillBill

GillBill Registered Member

Greetings. I have a 1st gen and i am seriously thinking about rebuilding a 700r4 to put in. I just want to know if it is worth the hassel. Insight is appreciated. Also, if you have to move the trans crossmember back 3", does that mean I can give my truck a 6" lift and not have to lengthen the reaR driveshaft? I'M ALL EARS :ears:

2. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    a lot of bad stuff is said about the 700R4. but i'll be running one in my rig b/c of the 3.06 1st. when properly built, it shouldn't give you any problems. i think the only major thing you'd have to modify is the TV cable & adaptor. there's several ways to make the adaptor work. check out www.offroaddesign.com even if you move the x-member back 3" and probably won't have to modify the rear d-shaft, you'll have to modify the front shaft with a 6" lift. unless maybe you drop the t-case but that has its downsides.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What tranny/T-case do you currently have? I'm going to assume a TH350/205. Here is what i can think of that you'll need to deal with. A 700R4 is 1 7/8" longer than a TH350 so this means shorten rear shaft and lengthen front shaft. The output shaft is too long for you to use the 205 and adapter as is so you either need to tear the tranny apart and install the AA shaft or use the spacer (which now makes this set-up about 4" longer than your existing set-up). You'll need to buy a TCC wiring so that the lock up convertor will work correctly. If you keep your original style front driveshaft you should be ok, but if you want to upgrade to a 32 spline output on the front T-case the driveshaft will hit the tranny pan. You need to buy a bracket kit for the TV cable to function correctly (or plan on replacing tranny after tranny). You can swap over from a 700 truck the range indicator on the steering column and adjust it correctly.

4. GillBill

GillBill Registered Member

Thanks for the info.