Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 install????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcjimmy88, May 25, 2005.

1. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

I remember reading here awile back about something needing adjusted when installing a 700r4? I will be installing mine friday and wanted to ask. If anyone can help with anything that is out of the ordinary (different than just bolting it in). Thanks for any assistance

2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Goes in just how it comes out, pretty straight foreward. You shouldnt have much trouble I have done 3 of those in my truck before I was finally smart enough to toss in a th400. But somethings that will help is a tranny jack or one of those tranny jack adapter that go on your existing jack. There are alot of shops that you can rent one from if you need to. Some people will say to put the transfer case on after the tranny is bolted in, I think this is a matter of preference. I have done it both ways, with the transfer case attached and also without. If you are going to do it with the transfer case attached leave on your crossmember, it just gives you something to grab onto when trying to shift it about under your truck. If you are doing it by yourself (which I dont recommend, especially if your truck is jacked in the air like mine) leave the tranny seperated. Make sure you have all your original hardware and dont forget to connect everything like your tv cable, 4x4 shift indicator, speedometer, and lockup converter wire on the tranny. Good luck and if you werent a 1400 miles away I would come over and give you a hand.

Oh and by the way the thing you talking about that might need adjustment is the tv cable. You shouldnt have to do it but if you are worried about it take it down to your local tranny shop after you have everything all connected and bolted in and ask someone there to do it for you. most are happy to help, it only takes a few seconds for them to do. The reason why I say this is because 700's are really weird when it comes to that cable, after they are rebuilt they all react differently to those adjustments. The proper way to adjust is there is this little tab (the tab that you press is D-shaped) that you have to press on the bracket that the cable attaches to. You press the tab and slide the cable sheath back. (not the wire part of the cable, just the black covering). Then go in your cab and press the pedal to the floor. This properly aligns the cable in the bracket. You will hear clicking as the cable sheath slides in the bracket. Its hard to explain but if you go under there and look at the bracket and your tv cable you will better understand what I am talking about. But I have found that doesnt always work for the tranny when its done that way, so sometimes a little bit of adjustment from there is neccessary. Thats why I would just put everything together, not adjust the cable and let someone who knows alot about 700's mess with it. It probably wont need adjustment anyways, but a 700 that isnt adjusted right wont last as long. Ask me how I know.