Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 lock up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Sep 20, 2003.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I have a drivetrain out of an 83 K5 that I plan on putting in the frame of a (No yelling at me!) cj5. The drive train is a 350, 700r4(out of a '90), np208 with fixed yoke, and a couple of empty axle housings. My question is about the lockup on the 700r4. I want to have the overdrive with lockup to drive to the places I want to play in the dirt since I don't have a decent tow vehicle. I know I can hook up a switch in the cab to lock up the torque converter manually, but can I still set it up to work like it would in the blazer? i've got the vacuum hookup and everything, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with the electronics?

2. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

You have a couple of options. 1st you can get a painless wiring setup about $90, easy to install. Remove pan replace a silenoid, add a vaccum switch , connect. your done. 2nd option Hyd. lock up. When line pressure is achieved while in O/D trans. will lock up. This is the option I have. My tranny guy did it at no additional charge, when he put in my short shaft. I like this option . Hope this helps Ed. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Ive got the same style lockup, no electrical lockup failures.

4. georgiared84

Thanks, That does help a lot. I found the painless setup you were talking about. Just need to decide which I'm going to do.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its pretty easy to wire up manually since are only two wires needed, but are four pin holes but only two pins in it

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You sure the setup you already have doesn't include the seperate TCC/Cruise control module? An '83 controls TCC from a small box just over the gas pedal, along with VSS, vacuum switch, and a brake pedal switch. (1990 might too, but I've never looked)

Doesn't get much simpler, but as usual, the VSS will give you some issues unless you run the stock K5 gauge setup.

7. georgiared84

That's just it, I don't have a setup. This is coming from scraTCH. i'VE GOT A WIRING KIT FROM PAINLESS FOR THE JEEP ITSELF THAT i CAN ADD TO, BUT THE ONLY THING THAT i HAVE FOR THE TRANS IS AN OLD VACCUM SWITCH THAT CAME OUT OF ANOTHER BLAZER. i GOT THE trans seperately and had it modified to work with my transfer case and add some strength(hopefully) but the rest is coming from my head. (Which is a scary place to get any sort of plans.)
    Ps Not yelling, they just put the dam caps lock and shift too close together.

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you don't want to make VSS work, ignore this. If you still consider it, the setup out of a donor truck should be cheap, easy, and reliable.

Had that setup in my '83, and I couldn't complain one bit about the lockup.