Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 loss of fluid...damage?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OFFRDK5, Jul 22, 2002.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Heres whats going on. My 700R4 took a jump of a steep cliff. The tranny shop is saying somethign about an O ring broke and the whole thing needs replaced. The tranny shop is saying at least $1500 to fix it. I haven't gone off the beaten path with this transmission since they worked on it last so no "off road" warranty violation.

A time ago, I backed out of my parking space and had my foot down on it to get to work after they had worked on it before. Well, it didn't move and was starting to get a very high rpm. I pulled back into the parking space very slowly and opened the hood. What I saw was a jugular vein of ATF pumping out all over the place. Seems that the person at the shop didn't put the lines back in their holders and left them rubbing against the PS pump!! They admitted the mistake and fixed it for free.

Now less than a year later its dead. What all would it affect internally if this did happen? How long would it take for these problems to show up?
    I need anything to make these people cheapen their price or make them pay for it all if they screwed it up!!

Thanks

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I can't say for sure, but I gotta think that if your tranny was damaged due to massive fluid loss, you would notice an impact right away. These trannies are very sensitive to heat. The proper fluid level and cooling is what keeps them okay. Damage from over-heating or lack of lubrication would most likely be immediate. However, I am no tranny expert. I am just trying to give my thoughts. I could be wrong.

PS - If they won't budge and you have to outlay the money, I would take a look at the Raptor tranny. I know many people on here believe that you can find a local shop to produce the same beefy 700 for lower cost, but I have yet to see anyone do it. It seems to be mostly talk. And I know 2 people running the Raptors that will swear by them for durability and performance. Search this board for discussions about the Raptor and check out their website for details and pricing.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The way *I* would look at it is the same as running an engine low on oil. It depends HOW low, but if a bearing was starved for oil for just a few seconds, the engine won't fail, but you have decreased life more in those few seconds, than hundreds of hours of driving.

Again, without knowing how much fluid you lost, its pretty hard to say. I'd not be worried about 1-2 quarts, but if it had spewed 5 quarts on the ground, I'd be real concerned. FWIW, 5 quarts of ATF would be a HUGE puddle. The fluid temp would have increased very quickly (less fluid, more slipping) and loss of fluid isn't good for clutches, much less all the bearings, bushings, and thrust washers in the transmission, as well as heat being an enemy of anything rubber or plastic.

I'd *suspect* that shorter trans life would have been due to their original negligence if the fluid loss was large, but there is no way you are going to prove that, and no reason they should accept blame after this long of a period, especially since they don't know what *else* you've been doing with it.

I'm not blaming you of course, there is no way you could have known for certain either way, but there is no way they could have known for certain either.

4. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

There is a guy not too far from here who builds them with all of the updates and the corvette servo for $750. 1 year 12,000 warranty though.