Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 lugging and jerking in 3rd gear, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I am not a tranny guy so I have come to the next best source short of a shop. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. The /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif saw it's first pavement trip today and all went well, except when my tranny shifts in to 3rd the lugs like a standard that is in too high of a gear for the speed. It shifts in to 3rd great but once in to 3rd it lugs and jerks like the speed or rpm's are too low for the gear. If you step on it and make it downshift and get the speed up high enough it quits. I am running a 700/203, 33's and 3.07 gears, I have 4.10's on the way. Is this just a gearing issue? 3rd and my tire/gear combo just conflicting with each other? I am not running in O/D just drive, but something is not right. I have double checked my TV cable, so I would not think that would be it, but again I am not a transmission guy. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I am open to suggestions, and thank you in advance for the help.

Krennen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh. BTW yes the fluid is full and new. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

should not be a gearing problem im running 35s with 3.08 and mine works fine

3. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

I think your torque converter is locking too soon. That will make the truck feel like a manual tranny taking off in fourth gear.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd have to agree. Unplug the TCC connector on the tranny, and take it for a drive again. Don't leave it that way unless you've got a tranny cooler. If it's not working correctly, disconnecting the wiring should eliminate the problem.

*Usually* when they "fail", it ends up staying locked when (for instance) you get off the freeway, and you stall at the first stop you come to. Sounds like yours is being commanded to lock at all times.