Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4, manual, or bust..............

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Foy, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Foy

Foy Registered Member

Ok, guys-
    Dad and I have wrassled the old Burb until she's just about submitted to our demands, except this: now, the noise we thought was the transfer case or rear axle is pretty certain to be transmission noise. Previously described as a gear whine sounding like a bad, bad power steering pump whine, but now accompanied by a serious gear whine-scraping sound in first gear only in the Burban, 180,000 miles, 22,000 on the first quality rebuild on the 700r4, virtually no hard miles/towing since the rebuild. Having destroyed a TH350 in a '84 Burban by running it hotter than he## and towing the USS North Carolina at 75 mph like we were somebody, abuse since the rebuild is not the situation here, instead, it sounds like the planetaries are whining and grinding, and like the TH 350 in the '84, I reckon they're about to self-destruct.

So, the issue is: would a professionally rebuilt 700r4 job have had anything to do with the planetaries, and whether or not, if they're gone, what now? We say that because despite the fact that we're way beyond the agreed-to warranty on the rebuild, we believe the trans shop will at least work with us if there are/were any gear-related work they were to do on the rebuild.

On this truck, like said, the body and motor are good, maybe great. New suspension parts abound, including new-from-the-box rear leaf springs, all new shocks, new steering stabil, new ignition parts--running like never before. Doing some transmission work to perfect the "restoration" is a no-brainer.

Part of me says repair the auto (having NO IDEA what is involved if the planetaries are futzed up), and part says: Put a 5-speed in there and fuggataboutit. A crate 700 of some sort is certainly in the range of possibilities, too. Any ideas as to source, costs?

This much is certain: I have no problems with the 700 as such--see previous threads, recently, as to my faith in that gearbox. If I stay automatic, a repaired/restored/crate 700 would be a dream to me--I'm primarily interested in the feasability/cost comparison in getting either a crate 700 vs reparing the gear-broken one I have vs switching to a manual. The uniqueness of a 5-speed is there, I must say. This truck has 3.73 gears, runs smoother than a sewing machine, and would father a manual for a long, long time.

Don't hate her because she's beautiful, OK? Serious thoughts and suggestions, please.

Cooper
    Raleigh, NC

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Being partial to manual trannies, if you had to have OD, I have no qualms saying go with the NV4500. It's a great tranny, but the only problem is the (typical) cost of putting one in these trucks. Of course, the $1500+ for a "quality" 700R4 would probably get you fairly close to the cost of an NV4500 swap.

Now, if you put in a 465, it *can* be a near drop in, and if you go with bigger tires (depending on gearing) you can keep RPM's manageable, while still being able to accelerate decently. The real advantages to the 465 is it's as close to a bolt in as you are going to get, just no OD, and it should provide you with centuries of driving with intermittent clutch changes. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ok, just kidding on centuries, but you won't have to think about it for 100K miles or so for SURE.

I have never had the pleasure of driving an NV4500 equipped truck, but I bet they shift nicer than the 465.

Just my opinions. I like driving the manual, and it just isn't as troublesome as the 700. (and I had one for years)

3. cjblais

cjblais Registered Member

Having had the opportunity to drive a dodge with an nv4500 I must say it is one of the best trannies I have ever had my hands on. Shifts so smooth even after being behind a deisel for over 200,000 miles. Go manual!

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I couldn't have said it better myself.