Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 manual valvebody

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wrathORC, May 31, 2003.

1. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I read here but I never post here so please bear with me...

(I just got done typing all this junk and it's long. Sorry)

OK, I'm tired of my 700R4 not shifting when I want it to. I know it's the governor but I'm just plain tired of it shifting at 3700rpm even under WOT. Whenever I want to get it to move at a more brisk pace I run it through the gears manually and shift it around 4500. When I want it to "go fast" I shift it when my tach runs out of numbers which is at 6k. This is getting old because sometimes I go from first to third and so does the transmission.

This is the only reason I want to install a manual valvebody. I can run the truck up to 70mph in first (115 in second) and I can put it in first at 60mph and the tires will screech so that part of the manual valvebody isn't needed, I just need to control the shift points. I usually run the truck in first when offroading and I'm pretty good at banging through to grab reverse when I need it. I know some people switch to a floor shifter because of body flex and not being able to shift but I haven't experienced that problem yet.

I spent two hours today searching for manual valvebodies from different companies. Only two of them retained compression braking in second gear. Those were TCI and Art Carr. Some of the others had transbrakes but in my opinion a transbrake means certain death for a 700R4 and a severely shortened lifespan of a turbo 350.

Anyway, how do you like them?

How is transmission life? Running at full pressure on a TH400 pump doesn't phase me but what about a 700R4? Will the stock rear planetary hold up?

I like having it automatic the way it is (on the column set it and forget it) but it's a PITA when I want my truck to move. It'll shift into fourth at 42mph if I let it. However, I could deal with a manual valvebody. I've always wanted one. This truck is my first automatic anyway so I'm used to manual transmissions.

My Dad had a full reverse manual valvebody TH400 in a S10 with an oldschool hurst ratchet shifter. That truck was a toy so it never got old to have to reach to downshift. I'm afraid it might get old in a daily driver.

There are two things I don't like:
    1. having to go through the gears all the time with the reverse pattern. I'm under the impression that there is no "automatic" if I leave it in third or fourth gear.
    2. Dealing with installing a shifter. It seems everyone agrees that B&Ms light truck megashifter is the best. I want something I can reach without leaning forward (those short ones for cars won't hack it). I don't want to hack that piece of plastic that goes around my shift lever for my NP208.

So anyway, what do you guys have to say about it? Anybody regret putting one in?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I would love to have one, but it is currently cost prohibitive. As for the shifter, get a Art Carr shifter. You can mount it on a console right where you want it.

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does a reverse valve-body operate similar to the standard?

(other than the R N D part)

4. 2Dogs

Oh yeah,
    Check Lokar for extended Shifters.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

A reverse manual valve body is P-R-N-1-2-3

6. 2Dogs

Yeah I know that part - been in my plans for a LONG time. Probably will go in with a Lokar (no reverse template) with the cage in a few months.

What I need to know is if the reverse VB changes shifting characteristics like the manual he mentioned. I had thought the ONLY thing it changed was the pattern. Just like to confirm.

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, it's not too expensive. I'm poor so it won't be happening until at least fall. I figure it'll cost me $250 for the valvebody and $180 for the shifter. If I can find a second 700R4/NP208 that hasn't been grenaded (just smoked) then I'll do a rebuild on it (~$450 depending on how many goodies I put in) and put it in my truck.

I'm not going to have a console. I've got a bench seat in my truck. I've got a thing for bench seats and probably will never change.

Does anyone make a ratchet shifter for a four speed? That Art Carr shifter is not only gated but has a really poor throw characteristic.

thanks

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I sent Art Carr an email asking them exactly how their two valvebodies operate. I'm not interested in their transbrake one so I didn't ask them about that.

Does Lokar make any ratchet shifters? My searches are proving fruitless, perhaps I'm searching for the wrong thing.

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I sent Art Carr an email asking them exactly how their two valvebodies operate. I'm not interested in their transbrake one so I didn't ask them about that.

Does Lokar make any ratchet shifters? My searches are proving fruitless, perhaps I'm searching for the wrong thing.

Thanks

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

OK, today I got an email from Scott McDonald at Art Carr.

Their valvebody doesn't have engine braking. He says the only one he knows of that does is TCI. He doesn't know much more than that or if TCI offers one to work with a lockup torque converter.

Art Carr only sells a gated shifter. They don't sell a ratchet shifter.

Anyway, I guess I'll keep looking. I've heard a lot of horror stories about TCI's transmissions so I don't know. Something tells me if this becomes too much of a PITA I'll drop it and find something else to spend my time on.

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author